Question From A Newbie

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by muddin redneck, Aug 12, 2009.

1. muddin redneck

muddin redneck DO IT IN THE MUD!!!

Is a canoe a displacement hull or planing? If it can be planed how big a motor would it take for a sqare stern 12' canoe 14" deep 42" beam

Thanks alot

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi muddin,

Canoes, almost by definition, have pure displacement hull shapes intended for extremely efficient low speed operation. They serve this function very well.

Most attempts to power or tow canoes to higher speeds tend to result in the canoe either becoming uncontrollable, or breaking up. (Notably, they cannot be towed behind powerboats at planing speeds; quite a few have been destroyed this way). Powering a canoe with a bigger engine than is necessary to get it to a bit past hull speed is not a good idea, and could very well result in the loss of the boat.

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

Canoes can be flat bottomed and plane, shallow arched bottom for best secondary stability (these are best for rougher water), or round for best speed under paddle. The transome stern doesn't enter into it unless the boat is loaded stern-heavy or designed to be a boat other than a canoe unless the stern draws down and brings the transome into play.
    Canoes have a "canoe stern", at least under the water, and any that I know wouldn't plane well. I presume you want to get somewhere fast, then paddle around. It is a pleasure to glide well and anything that planes well will not glide well. This is practical experience, as I know it. Perhaps a designer can enlighten us more.

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

Sorry, Matt had it covered

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

muddin,
    I just re-read your dimensions: 3'6" beam on a 12' LOA vessel is awfully wide for a canoe. Are you sure that's what you have, and that you aren't talking about a small skiff of some kind?

6. muddin redneck

this is my canoe

Fisher 12' (Square Stern)

Perfect for sporting activities and recreational use, the Fisher is incredibly stable and can be rowed(2 position) or propelled by a small motor (up to 2 hp)! Fabricated in fibreglass, with heavy duty aluminum gunwales and hardware, along with wood slat seats. In addition, each with sports external sponsons to provide "stand-up" stability. Yet our Fisher is still small enough to tie down on any car or in the back of a pick-up. A very versatile little boat; small but mighty!

Length 12' Beam 42"
    Depth 14" Weight 65 lbs.
    Capacity 420 lbs.
    http://www.langfordcanoe.com/files/Canoes/medium_1169813807.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  7. masalai

masalai masalai

muddin redneck are you that heavy (Capacity 420 lbs.) or do you like to carry a lot of stuff?

8. muddin redneck

well im not a small guy im 6'2" 300# so after some gear and a small outboard the capacity weight is all but used up and my dog ALWAYS has to go with me to and he's 40#'s

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Buy an exercise bike of row boat and get fit whilst loosing some of those excesses, then you can better enjoy the rest of your life and be around longer to do it :D:D:D You need to loose about a third of your weight at least...

10. muddin redneck

dont need a diet plan just some boat info

11. masalai

masalai masalai

The non-boat info, consider a bonus, and just as important...