Floating frames

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Morgig, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Morgig

Morgig Junior Member

Does any one have any experience designing boats with floating frames? Most classification society rule say that you have to ignore the attached plate in the SM calculations. However this seems a little heavy handed.

2. captword

captword Junior Member

I do not know the curcumstances of what you are referring. but before we went all epoxy we would have to put one or two floating frames at the top or neer the end of the stem . at this point if you were to bolt or knotch them into the stem due to the angle it would weaken the stem. the boats that i refer are carolina style sport fishers. these frames are there and attached to the junniper stripping and hold the shape of the sides approaching the sheer and top of the stem.
    howard

3. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

You may recall that the Open Class 60 racer "Imagine" was built with floating frames. She was all aluminum, and got pounded to death and all bent up. I had occassion to inspect her on behalf of another client and the aluminum supplier, Golden Aluminum, and I was not impressed with the technique. I personally think it makes for a not very rigid structure.

Eric

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.