Replace stringers or not?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by gcornelisse, Jun 11, 2008.

1. gcornelisse

gcornelisse Junior Member

I recently bought a 1984 Tide Craft 15' fiberglass bass boat w/ 35hp. Without getting too far into the topic of why I shouldn't have bought it in the first place, I'm trying to make lemonade with lemons. I knew the transom needed to be replaced, and I've got it removed. One thing lead to another and I found that the stringers are mush. So much so I can scoop them out with my index finger. I'm planning to replace the first 4' of the stringers from the transom forward. Should I keep going? Honestly, its an ok boat, but isn't my dream boat. I'll probably use the boat this summer on the lakes in my area of central PA and part it out next spring to recoup some money or put together an aluminum fishing boat. What are the safety/structural concerns with a boat this size by not replacing the stringers all the way to the front? Thanks, Gary

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

it would actually be easier to replace the "whole" stringer that is bad,,if you have individual stringers that are good then keep em,,,,but if "part" of a stringer is bad,,,then the whole thing will need to be replaced.,,im not used to them little boats,,,,so dont take my word for it,,,,,do a forum search on the word stringer,,,,,,i know theres at least a few hundred..hehe ;)
    and if you go to the other threads and ask a question,, it might get noticed a little faster. hehe ;)