Flipping a 17ft Chris Craft

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by ncuster, Jul 23, 2006.

1. ncuster

ncuster 1968 Chris Craft Ski

I am currently restoring a '68 Chris Craft Ski. The boat has been in the family since it's birth and it's time to do some work on the bottom. I have built a skeleton for the inside so that it doesn't stress the frame in the flipping process.

Is there a secret to flipping these things over? I just can't think of a safe way to do it.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

2. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

3. VKRUE

VKRUE Just another boat lover

Flipping your boat

Hey Ncuster:

Have you attempted to flip your boat yet.

I'm a little late to read your thread but might be able to help if it's not to late.

4. Texas Boater

Texas Boater Member

Inquiring Minds

I too would like to know the outcome - and take pics if you have a digital camera.

Its been raining every week here on the Gulf Coast and I've been using every excuse I can to put off filipping my boat over!:D

5. VKRUE

VKRUE Just another boat lover

Flipping A smaller boat.

As mentioned in another thread or somewhere around here... I placed a temporary re-inforcing stud under two rafters in the center of my garage, one fore and the other aft. I then suspended the bow from the fore rafter with a nylon strap atached to the bow hook. I also suspended the transom from the other rafter by first stretching a nylon strap with a (loop in the center) from the tie down / ski hooks on either side of the transom and then attaching another nylon strap from the rafter down to the "loop". Jack / or lift the boat straight up, tighting the straps as I go, on each end and when the boat is high enough I was able to literaly spin the thing over.

A bit of care jacking (or lifting with an engine hoist / cherry picker) up the boat again, to relieve the tension off of the nylon straps and let her back down. I sat my boat on a couple of very short saw horses that I made just for this project.

This worked slicker than @#%&. I was able to flip the boat BY MYSELF in approximatly 30 minutes.

My boat is a 17' plywood power boat with a cuddy cabin... and is longing to be worked on again, something that has been forced to the back burner due to moving to a new residence. Bigger & better garage now too :)

Best of luck all....:D :D :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.