Pearson 35 Toe Rail

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Asleep Helmsman, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Asleep Helmsman

Asleep Helmsman Senior Member

Pearson screwed the superstructure down to the hull. Then they screwed the teak toe rail down to that.
    Of course it leaks, and not just leaks, pours.

Plus, when water gets on the deck it pools so the teak stays saturated, it used to. then it all rotted away.

So now it's all removed. I'm thinking about building a toe rail out of some kind of wood core and epoxying some glass cloth over it.

After that it will be painted with Interlux epoxy primer and then Interlux Perfection.
    Next a teak cap rail will be screwed down using 4200 or 5200 to seal it to the epoxy toe rail.

I'm thinking about white oak for the core of the toe rail. But I wonder if there are other better options. When the teak cap rail is installed we will predrill the screw holes and fill them with 4200.

Some hardware will be mounted on top of the teak, like the head sail travelers. These will be attached with through bolts and 4200 will be used to seal the holes.
    All these holes are out beyond the existing balsa core so not much danger of migrating into the core.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  2. Asleep Helmsman

Asleep Helmsman Senior Member

I spoke to West Systems today. They informed me that White Oak is OK to use. They did however, suggest that I use the G-Flex product, rough up the wood, and clean it with denatured alcohol.
    So the process will be to wet out the surface of the oak and then use filled G-Flex as a bonding agent. After it cures I will go back over it with the glass cloth saturated with 105.
    The G-Flex bond will contain fillets and then the glass will bend around the fillets and end a couple of inches into the deck.
    The next step will be to fair it with 105 epoxy mixed 410 microlight.
    We will be using SeaDek as non skid which will cover the line where the repair ends.

I'll post photos.

Next Project new doors for the companionway.

3. Marvout

Marvout Junior Member

Any updates to your Toe Rail project? I'm curious how you've got along with this.

Marvout

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.