FlexiTab drive

Discussion in 'Surface Drives' started by LostInBoston, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Did not say shiny little propellers. I am not complaining of anything. You twist every thing any one says. Do you have any Idea how much damage you must be doing to Arnesons on this forum.

Geeeeeezuz Rik we are discussing the engineering, why and how and what for. You know stuff you don't know about.

It does'nt matter if I dont get to do 100MPH this weekend.

I have a design that follows the principle of Arneson, only the rams bring the prop out of the water. I shall use CV joints and internal rams. A far better usable drive than a fully exposed Arneson.

Arnesons are like the penny farthing of the bicycle world.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Oh Rik, Please make your own thread "Arneson Drives" - I promise to leave it alone for you to pontificate all you like, but dont mis-interpret others words. I think you have great difficulty in reading & understanding what is written in English....

This from Rik: "As for the question of cost for the Flexi Tab Drive. U.S.$ OEM is $120K.",

Appears to be followed by a a reasonable response being from Frosty: "You don't think I can tinker and make modifications without exeeding 120,000 dollars? Each."

implies in no way this, from Rik: "I never said for one to purchase Brunello's Arneson hybrid drive, nor did I say that they are worth the 120K." as no brand was mentioned until you pushed your item, from which I question your motive/integrity.

May I suggest in your response something to the effect "I can however supply (your product) at 1/2 that amount...." Is that what you meant? and not include the first line? which appears to be a "red herring"???:D

Line 3 - Does your organisation hold the patents?

Line 4 - most good cooks would be happy to share their recepies for personal use (except KFC & other purveyors as such)

You presenting Frosty as saying: "He has invented an imaginary problem that all Arneson hydraulics fail due to barnacle growth...."

Is not supported in Frosty's assertion & clarification: "This thread by the way was what is the best surface drive for a marine diesel, not show me some photos of an Arneson Surface Drive with Barnacle damage to a steering cylinder." and goes on to reiterate: "I would like to know how you keep your drives clean of marine growth and to know more about your self cleaning rams. Where can I find this information,-----Sigh ."

3. masalai

masalai masalai

I am butting in because I am looking for drive system answers & as a "live-aboard" will be hauled out less frequently than each year. Not many facilities in Melanesia.

The impact of barnacle growth cannot be overlooked in my situation - ergo my interest and questions relating to the steering arm of the hydraulic actuator which is normally (at rest) under the water & subject to attack by marine growth. WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION IF ANY?

I know not of Frosty, except that he has been very helpful in giving advice and suggestions relating to my interests. He appears to be very experienced, knowledgeable and capable. Like me has a low tolerance for "*******", spin-doctors, those who divert the truth and behave evasively in anonymity, and others, - - who receive a persistent series of questions.

4. Rik

Rik Senior Member

Then it would be wiser and more productive to stay on topic and avoid the personal attacks.

Like I stated and you did not cut and post, state your identification and occupation. I have done this openly and freely. It takes a bigger man to stand if front of the bullet instead of hide behind the keyboard.

If you need a propulsion device, you need to first declare what your parameters are.

Power, size, speed, objective, application, etc. etc. etc.

I saw your model. TALENT is a small word there as it has to be a major under taking, so why stray from the fixed torpedo that is used upon the other crafts of similar design? Jet pumps.

If you want a propeller, you can torpedo your rear sponson and put a propeller shaft coming out of it. Simple, easy to make, as well as in expensive. A rudder can be mounted somewhere.

Post a picture of your models propulsion on the model.

5. Rik

Rik Senior Member

Fost, I've asked in the past you stop your personal attacks and stay on topic. Initially it was cute, but like a puppy it quickly grew old.

I'd rather risk your negative view than risk you releasing a negative inaccurate unsubstantiated opinion on Arnesons for others to believe as truth.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

I can't really be bothered re-typing it all again, but if you click on >members List> then click on <M> then click on <masalai> then click on <all posts started by masalai>

Or click on "masalai" in the header of this post & then make your selection. If you would like a pdf file of my current projects in development send my your email address (not yahoo etc) and you will get a reply - it is about 662.2Kb in size.

What are your personals???? PM is OK

7. Rik

Rik Senior Member

Nope, lay it on the line like I have done.

The swath use a torpedo with a propeller.

http://www.swath.com/concept.htm

8. masalai

masalai masalai

What line? - - - are you CIA or something? - I can't see what you have presented for viewing. (invisible ink).. No website, No images in gallery of your boat or your personal projects, No summery of likes/dislikes etc., (I missed a bit on that).... What is that swath stuff about, I had more imagination than that when I was six, now nearly 11 times that...

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

10. Rik

Rik Senior Member

Masa, just as your too busy to list your identity, search my post. Even Frosty can help you there if you need. He keeps referring to it in his replies.

Sorry to offend you but your design looks similar to the SWATH design. You have, according to your model photos, a flat bottom sponson design vs a rounded keel design. Both have small surface area to support the displacement of the hull.

Have a CFD done on your design and see what the #s say. It will determine everything else you will need in your design parameters.

11. masalai

masalai masalai

It's just a displacement cat working towards becoming quite fuel efficient to give me a 2500 mile range at 15 knots - nearly there - 12m W/L I don't go for acronyms, use strikes me as lazy writing, (which I too, am sometimes guilty of using).

Would love to have numbers done through Michelet/godzilla but cant get those apps to work on my machine (I use "linux mint" and rely an "wine" to interpret the win2000 interface needs as michlet is a windows application.)

Other windows 2000 applications work, such as DelftShip & Free!Ship, quite well....

I have scanned most of your posts, reading many carefully - only 43, If you read 250 of mine You will know me, but you may end up scanning through 1100 to get them :D :D :D. Scan through Frosty's almost 3000 and you will appreciate his experience & wisdom..... (learn to learn from experience and be humble enough to be able to ask questions.)

This match is not a gain for you - especially as you are prone to "going off half cocked" or as ******* seem to be prone to, "shoot first & ask questions later". - this leads to regular injuries of the foot & mouth. :D

You strike me as being soo full of your own self impotence (deliberate mis-spelling), Calm down, listen quietly so that you UNDERSTAND EXACTLY what is being presented to you by text-words or spoken-words. Do NOT be ready to take offence at IMAGINED insults or WRONGS. Do your homework before opening your selling mouth and you will sell more by being recommended more often. Advice your mother & boss should have given....

Best wishes for your future

12. Rik

Rik Senior Member

Masa, within my first 7 post on this web forum I had already established who I was and what my web site is. I've asked you and Frosty to do the same, but neither has yet to come forth.

I am not hiding, nor am I full if Bravado for nothing. I originally stated a response to Frosty and then you and him tried a game of gang bang, but instead of facts you used personal attacks and misconceptions.

Not a wise way to make ones point.

Respect is earned both ways. The number of post one has does not reflect anything other than the amount of free time one has, absolutely no correlation to anything else.

You have not been able to spot my information post yet apparently, so I am starting to think your not a native English speaker.

You are going to have to hire a professional to do your CFD analysis. It might just turn out to be the least expensive and at the same time most valuable information you will ever have on your design.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Again Rik I have to correct you. You did not establish yourself as who you were ,it was I that spotted the enthusiasm for Arnesons and put 2 and 2 together and challenged you that you were the Rik that I had talked to at Arnesons some 4 years back.
    Why you want to know about me I cant imagine I am no one, I have no web site. I speak for myself ofcourse.
    Ille bet your a real foot in the door ,never give up, sparkling white teeth salesman. Although you may have a wall of salesman of the year certificates perhaps you should consider that we are a different culture and your methods are completely useless with us.

Im sure that there is a more genuine person underneath. I will try a little longer to meet him, but its getting a bit -- you know.

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Dear Brunello disregarding the previous rubbish submitted above I would like to tell you of a little modification to a sonny tunnel rudder I did recently. After studying the Flexi tabs very unusual one legged tunnel rudder I bit the bullet and cut my sonny rudders to similar.

I had often wondered of the drag associated with the (4) rudders and the consiquential misalignment of them.

The results were nothing less than incredible. Firsly I noticed a more positive response whilst manouvering from the beach under 4KTS. The normal cruising of 17 @3400 jumped up to 19.8 and a vast improvement in cornering where as before the boat would slow. With the one legged tunnels she did not and responded to a tighter turn with less rudder angle slowing to only 17KTS.
    I notice that you use the long leg to the center of the hull. I suppose that is to keep the rudder in some water in deep v hulls, but I wonder if there is any rotation of the prop reasons?

Due to the configeration of my hydraulic steering system and the hydraulic tie bar I had to use the long leg on the outer side. Being a cat I don't suppose there is much difference is there?

15. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hey Frosty,

It's interesting to see results like that from moving to the one-legged tunnel rudder.

Which way do you have your props spinning now?

On the Flexidrive, it looks like they always have the prop spinning so that the blade that's in the water is moving towards the rudder. I would guess this is somewhat more effective than having the bottom blade move away from the rudder, which I think would tend to aerate part of the rudder face due to the air that gets drawn in with the upper blades as they enter the water.

It would be interesting to see a comparison between mounting the asymmetrical tunnel rudders with blades pointing inboard versus outboard of the props. Your cat looks like it has more-or-less symmetrical hulls, so I'd think the only difference you should see if you switched the side of the long blade would be the difference (if any) due to prop rotation....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.