Flexible petrol pipe

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by valvebounce, Feb 28, 2015.

1. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

I have sent for some 8mm ID silicon petrol pipe for my outboards.
    Here in the UK it seems nigh on impossible to buy a length of suitable pipe without it having the pump up bulb attached.
    I have searched for "Flexible petrol pipe"but no one seems to give it a name.
    I want to make my own pipe setup,with quick release racing bike connectors at the tank end.That way I can release the tank to fill it without all the pipe attached,and if need be I can disconnect the pipe completely from the motor end as well.The quick release connectors seal both ends of the pipe when disconnected.

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Google fuel hose not pipe

3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Why do you need to make connectors when you can buy proper outboard fittings . They don't cost a lot.

4. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Proper grade fuel hose is available widely (in UK), try a company called Pirtek who sell it along with a host of hydraulic gear, and connectors.

5. valvebounce

Nice one SS,I had a pal that was a service engineer for Pirtek,I didn't realise they did the pipe.
    The Chandellers up here have very limited stocks,and just want to sell kits.
    Thanks for the info.
    V

6. valvebounce

Hi WP,
    I already have the connectors,I just want to customise the length and disconnection points to suit my boats.It keeps things neater and there is no excess pipe in the way of things.
    It is also useful when I fill the tanks at the petrol station,no need to disconnect at the motor end,just at the tank end.Safer all round really.
    I have two 14ft open boats,a 10ft dinghy and a 9ft inflatable,so space is an issue somewhat.
    Thanks for your reply
    V

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Hose suppliers will have what you want.

8. valvebounce

Sukisolo has just given me the suppliers I need in the UK.Pirtek.

This has got to be one of the best forums on the internet.
    Have a nice day
    V

9. valvebounce

Fitted the new pipe fittings etc,plus a new petrol pump to my 6hp Evinrude fisherman.It's the first time I have had it started.
    It was a bit lumpy at first,but then when it warmed up it reached full revs and would rev through the full range.It ran for a few minutes and then cut out.It started again after a few minutes,and then did the same again.The guy I bought it off couldn't get it started,I found the cut off pin in the carb bowl fitted upside down,so I fitted it the right way up.
    This was the first time I have started it.I think maybe the fuel cut off valve in the bowl maybe causing the problem.
    I had to remove the starter cord pole to get at the carb last time,and it was a pain.
    Anybody know a way to get the carb off a simpler way?It's the right hand carb manifold nut that is the problem..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.