flexable bottomed boats ??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tunnels, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

We should try to be helpful when possible I agree.

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

When a prominent well respected member of the team gets a little out of hand I say its time for tea and biscuit's and a breather !! :D
    I try very hard to ignore and of late has been pretty good and no infighting but then this happens ! as I said you dig at me I will dig back and if anyone digs at any one else I will not take sides !! it take just one to start and a second to retaliate !! we are supposed to be civilised educated people but class and colour issues are something else !! .:eek:

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Would you care to explain what this thread is about ? I didn't see the six o'clock news ?

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

refer to soft bottomed boats thread its been blocked for reasons that don't need to be explained

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Let see if I understand the purpose of the this thread. Tunnels insults and insinuates that the professionals are using "century old texts", to coin his latest phrase, which of course flies in the face of the published works, of the people he's insulting, but now thinks he (or they) should just kiss and make up?

He generates "bait" threads asking questions that require formulas and conceptual understanding out of his grasp and when presented with this, his disdain for these types of replies shows up, as he attempts to hint at a less precise approach, while (as it appears to some) the real reason for the thread, is an attack on established engineering protocol and procedure, if not the professionals themselves, that execute these techniques.

Lets see, a floppy bottom boat, how would you approach this guys and of course I'll argue which ever avenue you elect to travel down. Hummmm. Boats that twist and flex, hummmmm, naaa, no need for math, complicated formulas and reasonable engineering skills there. Pleeeeease.

You have skills Tunnels, but reasonable, logical defense of your positions, particularly in engineering and hydrodynamics is easily recognized, so your usual "retort" is to insult rather then intelligently defend. As I mentioned, with some study (like AdHoc's latest published text for example, a couple of months ago) you'll actually have some ammo for the often empty cylinder you aim. I know it's tough, but it's only some reading, give it a try, it's not that hard. You can Google the words you don't understand.

Simply put g(f(x)) = x or f(x) = x2 are necessary evils, if working on angles of incidence (for example) and in spite of your insistence that's it's unnecessary, there are lots of little algorithms that get employed well over your pay grade and fortunately so, if you're farther from shore than you can swim back to. So, if truly interested in a technical debate on the merits of a set of theorem or design elements, than come on, but the absurd banter, about ham handed methods and techniques can never be reasonably justified, simply because "slapping another course of mat on it" and calling it a day can't be sold to any owner, investor or self respecting engineer, without appropriate justification.

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Is that all you can come up with ??
    I am very disappointed !! but not surprised !!
    oops forgot, remember you started it not me !!
    Have a nice day or night what ever part of the planet your on at this time !
    So business as usual tomorrow ??:D

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A quick scan through the flexible bottom thread shows preciously your approach and skill sets. Laughable at best.

8. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Instead of having threads on the public boat design and boatbuilding forums here which degrade to jabs or insults directed at other people or groups of people, it would be better to direct further jabs and insults to another site or facebook. Let's try and have threads on the forums here about the boatbuilding topic at hand that everyone can enjoy taking part in and learning from and try and stay away from further insulting/provoking/annoying/jabbing at people or groups of people.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.