flexable bottomed boats ??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tunnels, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Cored boats ride better than single skin glass, all else being equal. If sponginess made for a soft ride, you'd just fit a deep cushioned seat and solve the problem, but it seems not to help.

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

come on fellas !!

no !!inflatable boats need to have ridged bottoms to go fast . floppy bottoms are slow in comparison to ridged bottoms but ridged bottoms need to be softer riding to be able to go fast through rougher water !!. :confused:

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

you are way behind the times seats are suspending you body with air shock absorbers and fancy stuff you never seen its a really hot topic for fast RIBS and is being seen more and more on PWC these days .
    Getting Body damage from continuous ponding and crashing at high speed is having loads of money thrown at it and lots of research done to find a better way !! Professional boat builder has recently had a couple of articles devoted to this and makes interesting reading but there something else that goes with all this as well !! softer riding !!:p:D:p

5. Mr Efficiency

The best shock absorber remains adoption of the "bent knees" stance. I think Daiquiri spoke of the spring effect of sitting on inflatable tubes and its resemblance to rodeo, seems pretty right to me. It may be that shock absorbers that dissipate the energy rather than return it as a rebound are helpful, but the degree of travel required to better the standing, knees bent position, could mean you can't see over the dashboard when you hit a wave. Or start with a very high seat.

6. Mr Efficiency

An accelerometer is needed to gauge how bad things are, comparing boat to boat, a reading of 3g seems to be tolerable, with precautions such as bracing and knees bent, 5g is pretty well unbearable.

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

You won't get anything sensible since define bad to begin with…having 3 separate threads all related to the same issues, starts off with hull panels flexing but actually seeks advice on a smoother riding hull. With such diametrically opposite lines of thought linking them together yet failing to understand how they relate to the OP perception of “smoother”, I don’t think you’ll get any credible/sensible answer regarding an accelerometer… Just the typical blunderbusses scatter gun approach of comments with no clear logic.

Doesn’t like reasoned logic of the theory with words, doesn’t like proof of words/concept with the theory via numbers to demonstrate in real terms, it's constant puffing of hot air….it is just nonsense I’m afraid.

8. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Its A Brain Teaser !!

yes 3 threads all linked to a common issue . easier to sort who knows and or understands what !!
    Lots of beating around the bush and no one really getting anywhere and coming up with some really strange ideas and concepts of the issue of soft ride and going faster ,
    Would you drive a car that had no springs in the suspension ?? and wouldn't you slow down when it got to rough ?? same concept with a boat if its not hard riding and is more gentle then you can push it harder and go places quicker without beating yourself to bits and feeling totally shattered when you get to point B !!

Vinylester resin is quite satisfactory and just plain off the shelf everyday unidirectional glass is all that's required to make soft bottomed boats nothing special !! But there is just one last thing to add!!, its the orientation of the glass !!
    This really is the key to what makes it work and holds it all together !! so now for the difficult part !! what direction would you run the layers of glass
    in the case of a 6 mtr boat you would need possibly 6 layers of glass !!
    Remember the direction of the glass can change the whole concept of soft ride to firm ride or to plain old hard riding .
    Where are the composite engineers when you need then ???:eek:
    THE OUTSIDE LAYER AND THE LAST INSIDE LAYER ARE REALLY EASY ITS THE LAYERS INBETWEEN ,THATS THE QUESTION !!:confused:

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

puff the magic dragon !! yeah !!

Im not looking for advice at all , its completely the opposite ,am wanting to see just how many people and how much people really understand about the concept of soft ride boats and flexible hulls and going fast and even carrying loads at greater speed and the boats being much lighter than they used to be and way more durable !!! . now that's not going to make any sense to anyone at all ,not one person I would say !! we are so hooked on making heavy slow boats ,now its suddenly being challenged I have posted this making boats lighter a couple of time and never really got any where but now its a fact of life gentlemen it can be done and is being done and is quite remarkable where its all this nonsense is going !!
    If I was fishing I've just about used all the burly and no one has struck at the bait yet !! come on hoc I expect more from you than just a little abuse let rip mate !!
    Must be to much telly and watching re-runs I reckon !!:p

10. Mr Efficiency

So far I've seen no trace of this new wonder boat you speak of ? Has it reached the drawing board or CAD program yet ? Or is it still exercising the little grey cells ?

11. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Did you hear about the hospital boat that encountered heavy seas? It was heaving and pitching and rolling and flexing so much the crew thought they would not make it to the shore.

The crew threw ****** medicine to the holds and the ship made it to shore.:)

12. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Its time we took a long hard look at how we build our boats and changed our ways !!

22Years ago I was given a free hand to come up with a brand new ridged hull for the inflatable company I worked at !!, first off started with a skin off a floppy bottomed boat as a rough shape mainly so it would fit the standard tube that the hull would get attached to so I heaved the layup and used it as my plug , it needed to be a deeper vee so foam core was added and ground to shape and more added till I got the shape I was looking for, then strakes were added . All the time race boat ideas were in the back of my mind and so I applied these things and stepped the transom and set the motor back this gave more room inside the boat as it progressed i wanted to get the tubes away from the water as quickly as possible so ran a 50mm high up stand around the hull and mounted the tube higher, At this stage It needed to be water tested ,so on a trailer and off to the boat ramp . I took my video camera and filmed it in action doing all kinds of turns and runs in different directions and the only fault was it splashed water out the front and the wind caught it and sent the spray back to the motor man . so back to the factory and a belt sander sanded off a very slight bump that was the cause . After sanding painting and read for surf trials !! we hadn't had time to make the floor for the inside of the hill so just flow coated it and away they went first run and came back all smiles ! The verdict was it was awesome !! then some one asked was it always going to have twist when it ran along and went up over the rolling water because it tracked like nothing they had used before and was smooth riding and did absolutely nothing wrong at all !!
    a month later and a mould off the hull and new hull made and inside floor made with drain outlets twice the size of there other boats and a neat flowing smooth shape that when tried out in the sea drain in super quick time so again back to the shop and finished and a mould made and after get coating the mould for the first deck I had the bright idea about a really soft trampoline floor I made a sample a piece and got the guys to stomp, jump and try to break It with there bare feet ,impossible!! so soft deck it was going to get . Its is beyond belief what just one single layer of 800 gram double bias and a 225 csm with a gel coated surface will stand . was floppy and took a lot of sitting in the right place and to stick it to the flange and then the tube mounted with a hinge strip so wouldn't peel . of to the nz west coast beach's and relentless surf !!launch day and we had a crowed and 4 full fuel tanks to be used . first crew out and they disappeared and were gone for ages then they appeared and had smiles from ear to ear . the hull I had made using unidirectional glass with a whisk of 125 gram csm between the layers the bottom moved but only with effort . the hull still had twist because the floor was mounted low down inside the hull but a 60 mm space between the hull and the decks underside . at the end of the day we had a meeting of all the crews and everyone gave it thumbs up all round !!!. this could have possibly been the first soft ride and twisting boat made and purposely built to do a specific job . its was noticeably faster than the old boats ,a second boat was made ,same as the first and performed that same they were able to run rings around there older soft bottomed cousins
    A BIG JUMP IN TIME TO 2013
    About a month ago I was given the news of soft bottomed boats that are being produced , they are lighter ,quicker and able to carry more payload
    they are using more modern materials and more sophisticated but principles are the same the military are the winners so far and getting all the attention but the pleasure boat industry is asking questions and wont be long before they to will get on the band wagon and be wanting soft ride boats !! The designer I was speaking with was very interested in what I had been doing so long ago and how I was able to achieve flexible hulls that didn't break !! in reality were way more durable than thicker heavier laminates used in everyday construction of power boats . When watching boats being made its true a very high percentage of the glass that gets used ,serves no useful purpose at all , Amazing what you can find on the net these days !! :p

13. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

With all due respect but I refuse to believe that's true. Among other reasons because I respect very much ship designers and I have no reason to believe they are doing things so badly.
    Cheers.

14. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Have you ever worked in a boat yard and manufactured boat half your life ?? when I see how much un-necessary glass gets use just making a deck on a 40 foot boat its sickening , no one takes any notice and its just accepted !! :(:D:p

15. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Yes tunnels, I have worked many years in shipyards and for shipyards and, after some thought to what you say, I think you may be right. One thing is how are designed boats and quite another to constructing. Unfortunately, sometimes, the naval architect does not have enough strength of conviction to the builder who thinks no one can teach him anything.
    Anyway, maybe what you're saying is that resin is placed more than necessary. Do not think any builder put more fiber than necessary.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.