Flex type coupling or u-joint?????

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by Tygafan, May 20, 2008.

1. Tygafan

Tygafan Junior Member

I am building a 45' Bruce Roberts Waverunner and have 2 x 150 hp diesel engines with gearboxes that will need to be coupled to the prop shafts. What would be the best method for coupling the shafts to the gearboxes to deal with torque, torsional vibration, minor misalignment?

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

3. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

I had a U joint on my last diesel, a ten HP aircooled. It worked well. I heard about a guy who had two on a short shaft in a wooden hull. When the one on the propshaft broke the short intermediate shaft became a flail and flailed a huge hole on the hull . CV joints are less likely to break.. In a steel hull you are unlikely to punch a hole , but in any other materials, a piece of steel under and over it may be a good idea. In a steel hull, if you use two u joints ,a piece of steel over it is a good idea.
    Brent

1 person likes this.
  4. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Lovejoy couplings are good, cheap, and won't flail if they break. They take up shock well, and they handle slight misalignment with no problem. They also make it faster and easier to separate the coupled components than any other coupling I'm aware of.

1 person likes this.

5. Tygafan

Tygafan Junior Member

Dodge Coupling

Thanks for the great responses. I am looking for an economical yet effective means of coupling my prop shafts to the gearboxes. I don't mind dropping a few dimes for quality but I don't need some kind of NASA device at NASA prices either. Has anyone here ever used a Dodge coupling to couple a prop shaft to a gearbox? I am open to all suggestions.