Submersible battery operated hull brush development cooperation, colaboration

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by jubisdoo, May 21, 2023.

1. jubisdoo

jubisdoo Junior Member

looking for cooperation with designing usefull underwater hull brush, first version is done, but it needs some improvements, any idea is welcome

Attached Files:

2. jubisdoo

jubisdoo Junior Member

hello, I am developer of tools, and I am making submersible battery powered rotating hull brush, is there a need for this kind of brush, do boaters needs it? looking for ideas....

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Have you considered compressed air for the brush power ? This keeps electric wires out of the water.
    You could drive it from a small 12v motor on deck.

fallguy likes this.
  4. jubisdoo

jubisdoo Junior Member

it can be done with compressed air and 12V small compressor, but in that case there is always air hose behind...

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I did assume there would be some sort of wire going to the device, even if its just for controls. You won't be able to have wireless control underwater, and I also assume a strong handle to direct the brush, otherwise it will fall off the hull.
    So, having a battery in the brush head is not a feature.
    Also, the weight of the battery would make it harder to hold the brush head onto the hull.
    Did you have another idea in mind ?

6. jubisdoo

jubisdoo Junior Member

regarding suction to the hull, brush have impeller inside so that problem is solved, battery is light, li ion weighs less than 200grams. remote control is another story, cant make it under 2000USD... The first prototype shows positive results, price is too high, and dual rotating brush would clean larger area, 2x 25cm which would cut down time by half. I am trying to make price lower than 500USD for it. Another question, would this price be interesting for boaters?

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

8. jubisdoo

jubisdoo Junior Member

yes this nautilus scrub does the work, at least most of it, for 150USD you can expect something longlasting and strong... Regarding this karcher brush on amazon, that is just to look at it, to work with it is another story. I have one at home.

9. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Noone is going to allow electric motors underwater in any freshwater marina.

Rwatson gave you a great tip. Cords and standing in water also bad..

10. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

You are competing against boat getting pulled and powerwashed as well, so this tool is probably better planned for as the visible sides; not the bottom; $250 price, no electric, I'd buy one if I trusted the thing to not fall off the hull. That is the main sell...cuz gravity is against it.

11. jubisdoo

jubisdoo Junior Member

FallGuy, explain me more, I dont understand how and what you mean, you are saying it should clean hull that is above water line? and has a stick to hold it ? you manualy scrub with it?

12. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

As a professional bottom cleaning diver.

Make it VERY buoyant. It's buoyancy MUST provide ALL the necessary pressure against the hulls bottom. Swimming up to keep it on the hull is not going to work.

Two counter rotating pads. The single pad will rotate a diver.

The battery MUST last for 6 hours of continuous use. Changing batteries in a dripping wetsuit is NOT an option.

$250 is reasonable.

A multiple articulating 16ft handle will allow non-diving boat owners to clean their own hulls. But they would likely not pay more than $150 and would only need an hour of battery life.

rwatson likes this.
  13. jubisdoo

jubisdoo Junior Member

Thank you for technical advice, it is very helpful , but question regarding buoyancy, so the brush machine should have positive buoyancy ? and like 1kg plus buoyant? so the diver should force the brush machine under the water, but dual brushes would create suction while spining, on to the hull, and that is like perfect tool for divers. Regarding battery, it is hard to get 6 hours continious power with selling price 250USD, you must take into account that laptop battery cost 130USD , and this kind of machine need at least 2 pcs that could run 4 hours, so for 250USD this thing cant exist, also if you want to buy single brush like the one producer in US make it, they sell it for 2000USD....

14. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

"dual brushes would create suction while spinning, on to the hull,"

I bet it doesn't.

Have you actually tried it ??

"Regarding battery, it is hard to get 6 hours continious power with selling price 250USD"

At a marina, there are usually shore power points.
    Perhaps you could make the battery optional, and have the cheap version not use the battery ?
    It works for lawnmowers etc, so maybe that will work.

15. jubisdoo

jubisdoo Junior Member

we are selling brush allready, it does have suction with force of 5Nm , that is 0.5kg of force, it is enough, battery of lawnmowers cant run 6 hours! Cables and hoses from the brush are disturbing work, hard to pull cables behind , you are no moving free,... Someone who work with this knows... this is picture of working brush HullBrush.jpg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.