flatten patterns

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guest, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,
    I made some hull designs for plywood patterns using solidworks99 that i'm very proud of them and now that the designs that i like are finish i don't know how to transpose them to a 2D drawing to cut the patterns.

If you know the answer please don't let me down.
    thanks.

2. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

See the current discussion under "software." Of course, you're going the other way, 3D to 2D. I'd think some time spent with the SolidWorks instruction manual, if you have one, would reveal how to do this.

3. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't know much about solidworks or whether or not there was a flatten/develop/unroll option in solidworks 99 or not, and I'm not sure if you want to "project" the 3d model to develop a 2d lines drawing or if you're looking to "unroll" the 3d surfaces to create construction patterns for sheet materials. I do know that the much cheaper Rhino program offers an Unroll Surface option which will take a developable surface and create a 2d pattern and this seems to work pretty well.

5. Admin

Admin Administrator

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.