junk rigs

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by whitepointer23, Jun 6, 2012.

1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

what are junk rigs like for cruising. the unstayed mast and simple sail rig looks attractive.

2. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Go read Annie Hill's books for a start. Everyone has their opinions and you need to decide yourself what the pluses & minuses are.

FWIW I'm building one of Tom Colvin's designs with the junk schooner rig.

PDW

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Practical Junk Rig by H. G. Hasler and J. K. McLeod

The Chinese Sailing Rig - Design and Build Your Own Junk Rig by Derek Van Loan

4. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Incidentally, not all junk rigs are unstayed. Tom's designs typically are stayed but a lot of them are hybrid rigs, a conventional jib and 2 junk sails. However I'm pretty sure the pure junk rigs he designed & built were stayed as well, but I'm 1300km from my library ATM.

I will venture one comment however. Assuming that you buy all new materials, it is possible to have a junk rig with nearly 900 square feet of sail on it for a fair bit less than $10,000 AUD. I've no idea what a marconi type rig with the same sail area would cost. If it's less, I'd like to see the breakdown of costs.

If you haven't done so already, read over Bataan's postings on his boat as he has 30 years hands-on experience with his junk rig.

PDW

5. whitepointer23

thanks for the replys. i have been reading a lot of info on the net and there are some boats similar to mine that have been converted to junk rigs with good results.

6. Zilver

Zilver Junior Member

7. whitepointer23

yes i have hans, it is a great site. i can see a lot of merit in the use of junk rigs here because it is so easy to drop the mast to get under bridges.

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

I am going in the same direction.
    To me the balanced lug is a junk without battens.

I have done a lot of reading and the folks with the junk rigs love it for cruising.
    I feel that I will have the same amount of success.
    I prefer the reefing points rather than all the ropes to the battens.
    Anyway thats kinda what I see in it.

Nothing wrong with junk rigs for cruising.

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

11. whitepointer23

why balanced lug manie, i thought a dipping lug would handle better or does it not perform as well.

12. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Read about New Orleans Luggers in The Fore-and-Aft Rig in America. They were fishing boats with a single unstayed lug sail, with travelers for both the tack (foreward) and clew (aft). The sail was dipped for long tacks and moved to the other side of the mast, but for short tacks the sail was kept on the same side of the mast.

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Brendan I would like to think that the balanced lug is almost the "forgotten" sail for cruising. After months of reading and to and fro thinking, I made up my mind to go balanced lug with a hollow birdsmouth mast made of Spruce.

To me the one big sail that does 95% of what all else does, is fantastic.
    Many experienced sailors have written that when the sail is either way on the mast (dirty tack) it makes VERY little difference.

Balanced lugs can tack well and are good downwind.

please watch these 2 videos - the rest is up to your imagination

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GomIAiuqfws&context=C318c336ADOEgsToPDskJ8Eyjr7BwcZkDXkWx8EV5b

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVSo1E8tTbw&feature=related

look carefully at the arrangement on Scamps boom for reefing - its great.

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

15. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Curious to hear about how junk rigs do in high winds and for racing. The drag over the large battens seems to rule them out as a choice, but it would be good to get some feedback to see how junk rigs hold up in the following conditions:

1. High winds (30kts plus)
    2. Racing performance when compared to sloop or ketch rigs with traditional smooth sails.

I just haven't seen a lot of junk rigs for faster cruising/racing yachts. For everyday cruising they do look attractive though.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.