Flat-bottom skiff keel & runners

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by CaptChap, Sep 4, 2022.

1. CaptChap

CaptChap Junior Member

I finally attached the skid-plates "keel" & runners/rails to the bottom. I'm glad that I finished all the xynole/epoxy, fairing & epoxy/graphite coating on them OFF the boat and outside the shop, thus avoiding all the mess & clean-up on my sanded & prepped hull surface. It was easy to simply glue & screw them in place without a lot of hassel. Today I'll start coating the bottom with the epoxy/graphite down to the waterline (blue tape on transom). I intentionally extended this WL about an inch or more above the design loaded WL, so I won't get any slime/ stains on the topside boot-top.
    I calculated the the loaded immersion WL to be about 6" at 2,200 lbs disp, , so this line will be 7" above the chine bottom.
    These bottom "appendages" will not only add great longitudinal rigidity, but should also add some directional stability (slide-slip on turns) as well as most importantly protect the bottom on my local rocky gravel beaches. Comments/thought? 20220903_184817.jpg

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

3. CaptChap

CaptChap Junior Member

Bajansailor -
    Thanks for your comments. I plan on keeping it on a trailer and launching at a nearby ramp, but may occasionally drag it up on my neighbor's gravel beach, where he has a nice wooden stairway up to his cottage. I also wanted the option to occasionally beach it to overnight "camp-out" on it, solo (my wife's no longer into that level of roughing it).
    Thanks for advising me to continue with the old thread...I'm new at this forum biz., but learning!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.