Help regarding yacht tourism

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by conceptia, Apr 29, 2010.

1. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

Hello guys,

Could you help me in analyzing the market of yacht tourism. Actually my plan is to develop a yacht tourism venture at Kochi, India. Can you help me by giving a brief investment amount idea and the feasibility of yacht operation. I'm starting with a market study and going to meet the govt officials of tourism and various yacht building yards etc. I would like to have an overall idea on how to proceed before meeting these people. Please give me help as always :)

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

What you need is a experienced developer (experienced in this field), there are´nt many on our planet.

Having a good idea (which it might be) does not bring you much further when you have no skills to bring it into a business concept that is widely accepted by the Governement, Investors (Banks), Operators.

Do´nt get me wrong, I do´nt want to discourage you. But developing such structures is my main business since 42 years, and I have never seen a single project coming from concept - to project phase (let alone into reality), when there was´nt a professional project planning and management from the very beginning.

To save you time and money, another comment:
    do´nt believe Architects are able to develop such complex structures! Although hundreds and thousands of big projects have been planned by them, none was successful for all the involved parties.
    Architects are good to design buildings and their surroundings (by far not all of them), but have no clue about the business concept behind the Architecture. But that is what pays the interest of your investor, not the fashionable style.

Get yourself a pro!

Regards
    Richard
    no, not me, I am never working on order.

3. conceptia

richard, thanks for your comments but my point is strictly onto the yacht tourism and not designing. My idea is to purchase yachts and operate them. Please enlighten me on this?

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Building up a sort of yacht tourism in a location where this amusement barely exists, means building and operating a marina with all the facilities, yard, workshops, hotel(s) etc. etc. etc......
    That is a complete resort, if not a village (the latter would be better).

One needs a hell of a lot of knowledge to plan and develop that to be functional and profitable.

Now it has to be marketed, at least nationwide, maybe better worldwide.

Again knowledge, connections (trusted ones) and a proper businessplan are required.

Not the least point: one needs professional operators for such resort! The operator is the one who pays the credit back and gains the profit for the investors.

When you show up with a unknown operator at any bank or in meetings with a prospective investor, you go through a revolving door!

It sounds all so easy, like building a house or a boat seems to be easy, but the cruel life taught us, it is´nt.

Though your idea might be worth talking.
    I have a project in Goa, when that comes to the construction stage (and I´m there) I would give you a ear for your plans.

Regards
    Richard

5. conceptia

wow.. dats cool..i can wait.. probably we can meet up. dat'll help me a lot, i guess..

6. Paul A

Paul A Junior Member

Conceptia, what other business plans have you formulated successfully?

7. conceptia

im a naval architect by proffession(and passion) currently working as Basic design in-charge a company. But im planning to start a venture of what I mentioned. Im not a pro in business, but with local and government contacts i think the venture may start well.
    But before that I'd do an immense market study cos I dont have enough money to lose.:D

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

apex1 is 100% correct - it is a massive undertaking
    one other option that could be worth a try is to simply go and hire a 40ft cat in the med and see how they do it.
    My suggestion is to start small to learn the "ropes" of this business, first buy ONE popular boat and see if you can market that and I would suggest buy a 40ft cat - that seems to be more popular than mono's
    the holiday floating condomaran for day sailing :D

9. conceptia

yeah Manie, dats my plan.. for da time being operate a single yacht and study the complete ups and downs of the market. Even before that I wanna do a market research(economics is repugnant).
    I need ur advice on wat all things I should focus on wen I'm going to invest on this project. Also im well aware of the risk undertaking in this huge investment. But as wat an Indian actor once told - "Life is not a pressure cooker to come with a guarantee.":D

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  10. apex1

apex1 Guest

The risk can be minimized to almost zero when the development is done right.

But the "advice" you (for good reason) are searching, will not be given by any of the few pro´s in that business. And it is not possible to handle such task by advice either.

You need a partnership with a pro, or have to pay him. The latter might be a bit out of reality when we are talking several hundred $ or more of total investment. Less than that will make it hard to impossible to stand the time. When the concept is right, but the project started on a too small scale, it will be copied in proper scale immediately and that turns you out of business.

The downside of a full scale development of a touristic infrastructure is the royalty fee for the developer. I ask (and get) 16% of the total investment (including the cutlery in the hotels) as my royalty.

So, either follow the way and advice given here, and start on a low budget, hoping you will not be overwhelmed by the big boys, or do it full scale with a pro, right from the beginning.

And yes, of course, I am interested to meet you there, once I started my Goa project.

Regards
    Richard

11. conceptia

truly that was a sound advice.. it makes me think in and out.. Now I need filter out the options. thanks a ton.. i love boatdesign forum...

12. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...just as a matter of interest, how much (in $US) do you estimate it would cost to set up, say, one 40 foot cat (or mono if that is your preferrence) and maintain it (including insurances as required) for 12 months?

13. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

A three Hour Tour

Just sit right down and youll hear a Tale, A tale of your new Yacht Trip.

Here ya Go. Just copy these guys!

[​IMG]

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

Will you ever start contributing here in a sensible manner? By so far we have seen only free ad´s and nonsense from you!

15. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

Free Advice.

Myself as most other Captains who have worked years to get our licences and build businesses have lots of time & money invested.

Yes I have a Blue Ribbon REcipie but you dont think the I or anyone else would just give away this info for free?

I would gladly provide a comprehensive business plan to this fellow or anyone else whom wishes to purchace a business plan from me.

Just email me for more info.

WickedGoodOutdoors@maine.rr.com

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.