Flat bottom, lwl/Tc ratio?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guest, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Are there any major drawbacks from having a flat bottom (albeit slender lwl/beam of 8) at considerable draft please? By considerable, I mean a double ended vessel that displays a lwl/Tc of approximately 17. The Bwl/Tc would be 2 for minimum WSA and plenty of rocker. Sound confusing? Coinsider a long slender deepish draft Bolger to get a better picture. I like the idea in terms of construction but would like to know if there are major hydrodynamic no no's associated with this idea. Stability is fine as I'm hanging a large fin and bulb off her. If the corners should be rounded by how much please? Thanks for your time and trouble, Guillotine Racing.

2. Tom Lathrop

Tom Lathrop Junior Member

I'd suggest that you make lists of all the advantages and disadvantages of a flat bottom on a boat such as the one you contemplate.

If I did that, the flat bottom would not make it past the first draft.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Flat bottom boats behave well only with low displacement. Even then, they pound quite a lot. Sailing sharpies when heeling, act as a vee hull. I don't see any advantages to a deep draft flat bottom boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.