fixing the deck on a 1985 Winner Boat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by ravej50, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ravej50

ravej50 New Member

Hi all, I just recently received a 1985 winner boat and have been told that it's been sitting outside with no cover for about 2 years. those two years have damaged the floor of the boat and so I decided to replace the floor, seats, cushions, etc. So I've been lurking on this site for a bit now looking at how others were restoring their deck and have gotten a lot of great ideas but am kind of stuck at some places in the boat. (I'm new to boating so I don't have the correct termiology yet so have patience). Anyway, I have a couple of questions:

How does one remove the wood floor easily? is there such a thing? I've spent two days removing it by sawing, prying, hacking but being the lazy bum that I am, isn't there an esaier way? (Probably not but I've been muttering those questions ever since I started pulling the deck.

For the real questions..
    While I was pulling the wood floor, I noticed that I have a beam on the left hand side and right hand side of the boat..what is the beam for and do i have to remove the beam since I noticed some wood flakes coming off from the bottom of it? By the way, the locations for the questions are all highlighted or circled in red.

[​IMG]

Question #3-
    Will I have to remove this too? It looks like it's attached to the console however, this looks like this the only part of the console that looks like its been wet.
    [​IMG]

Question#4-

What is the best way to fix this? The wood looks rotted through however, since it's in the front (bow) of the boat, it provides support to the bow. Would I have to cut and remove and replace?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, the stringers look like they're full fiberglass. and still sound solid when I tap on them. Is it common to wrap fiberglass around wood to create the stringers or am I lucky that the boat stringers are not made of wood? (never mind the red outline...i was going to use this picture for the 1st question but decided against it..
    [​IMG]

I'm still learning how to resize pictures...

2. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

first problem,,,NO BRACING!!!! go here and read this, and see if EVERYTHING doesnt come to a complete stop before you go any further,,,he took the deck off,, but your coming close to his headache by taking all the floor up before you braced everything.
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24003

4. ravej50

ravej50 New Member

Hey Thanks bhofm for the program suggestion. Makes life easier. the1much- after the pictures were taken, I haven't kept working on it. What do you mean brace everything? take some 2x4 and attach them to the top of the boat so the hull doesn't flex? I still have it on a trailer..would that help?

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

brace across the deck, brace from bottom to topside, then an X but lay the X down,,, then on the outside build a cradle type thing with your trailer if the trailer isnt snug enough to keep it from bowing out. the flat X is to keep it from skewing on ya. and make sure you do the bow too,,,, alot of people only worry bout the middle and aft,, the bow you just need a 2x4 across the top.