Question relating to wood and withstanding mother nature.

Discussion in 'Materials' started by oi2342001, Jan 21, 2011.

1. oi2342001

oi2342001 New Member

First off I would like to say that my question is relating to an idea I have for my pickup truck. However I think you guys here would be the best people to help me.

That being said I know my idea is kinda crazy, but I think if done right it would look and function great. I would like to build a nice tonneau cover for my truck out of wood. It would be split into 3 sections that would fold over each other like this picture.
    [​IMG].
    This site has a better image but it wont let me copy it. http://www.bakflip-tonneau.com/?gclid=CJbP5OKnzKYCFcNM4Aod9yjMIA

I have a good idea as to how this will all go together but I can't figure out the best type of wood to use, or how to finish it. I know that white oak is used in the beds of old pickups as well as in the framing of boats. The reason I am asking here instead of a truck forum is because the people who have the wood in their trucks don't drive them year round (or at least not in the cold snowy winter). I live in MA and would like to have something that can withstand winter as well the sun and heat in the summer. As boat builders who have to work with building boats for all types of weather I figured you guys would know if my idea is something that could work or not.

The info that I have found so far is that white oak is probably the way to go. I should put a finish of something like this http://www.cabotstain.com/products/product/Australian-Timber-Oil.html and reapply it once a year.

Not sure if you need this or but the three sections will be roughly 2', 2' 2'' and 2' 4" long by 5' 6" wide by 1/2" thick. I am not sure which way the grain will go yet. Piano hinges with rubber underneath will make the seams between each of the three pieces waterproof. The finished wood will be (if it is white oak) between 70-75lbs, roughly 20lbs heavier than the plastic ones.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Have you considered marine plywood? It can have any veneer face you want.

3. oi2342001

oi2342001 New Member

No, it hasn't crossed my mind. How could I seal the sides of the plywood? The sides wont be exposed but just in case they get wet I would like to seal it, or so I not need to worry about that?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can cap the edges with solid wood. Basically just glue with epoxy a wood edge. That stiffens the panel, so you can make it lighter. If you are not going to load it 3/8" would be plenty. The edges can be 1X2.

5. oi2342001

oi2342001 New Member

I don't plan on putting weight on it but during the winter there could be as much as 2 feet of snow on it. I would clean it off as soon as I could so it would be on there for very long. I think just in case I would like to go with the 1/2".

How would I finish the wood? I don't think a gel clear coat would last very long and I wouldn't want to reapply that often as it would end up adding unnecessary weight plus I don't think it would look good after a year. Do you think that oil would be best?

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Oil is easy to touch up.

7. oi2342001

oi2342001 New Member

I guess that settles that. I am going to check out my local lumber yard next week and see if they have marine plywood. This way will also save me a lot of work. Thanks for your help.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.