Poor man's Peel Ply

Discussion in 'Materials' started by caiman, Mar 20, 2011.

1. caiman

caiman Junior Member

I apologies if this has been done before,but,can anyone point me towards a 'kitchen/backyard'version of peel ply please?Something that you could find in a shop, at a seaside resort ,where the nearest McDonalds is 60 miles away?
    Thanks for any help.
    Cheers

2. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

I have used a #1 perforating Roller on 2 mill plastic sheeting before and it worked ok,Nothing replaces Real Peel ply though.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Rip stop nylon is just as effective and a lot cheaper the peel ply. Fabric stores carry it.

4. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

I have used the rip stop before,It was Sunday night and I had to finish ,the fabric store was open earlier and I was good to go .

The funny green.

[​IMG]

5. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

Peel Ply is essentially a Nylon Taffeta, so ask for Taffeta at the fabric store also.

You probably want a very loose weave, which they might not have. I've used nylon net which will work in pinch, but leave a rougher surface.

6. PAR

Without getting too technical about fabric types, what you'll find in nylon taffeta at a fabric store is the "patterned" styles of this material, such as crushed, embossed, embroidered, pinched, pleated, etc., while rip stop is usually just plain old rip stop and usually half the price too.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

This is a very good question. I am also always on the look out for "non" marine things that dont carry the marine label and consequential price tag.

Nail varnish as acetone comes to mind, much cheaper in 1 liter bottles at 1.50 US . Im not commercial so I have time.

8. PAR

Frosty, you are thinking about nail polish remover, which does have some acetone in it. Of course it's reclaimed acetone and a pretty low percentage too, usually about 10%, plus a bunch of other stuff, like, coloring, skin care oils, etc. Since acetone is so harsh on the skin, more and more you're seeing ethyl acetate used instead.

As a cleaning tool, it's not especially effective, usually leaving a residue, a pretty color and fragrance too. Acetone isn't costly, especially if you buy bulk. I'm paying about $10 a gallon for 100% non-reclaimed acetone.

9. caiman

caiman Junior Member

Hi
    Thanks for the replies.We don't have a fabric shop handy.I've used tin foil in the past but it's impossible to remove from the surface after being amateurly vacum bagged.I've got some ordinary nylon,will that work or does it have to be ripstop?Failing that,the polythene sheet sounds like a good idea.
    Cheers

10. PAR

Polyethylene sheeting is a very good release film, though doesn't do the same thing as peel ply.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im not stealing the thread but the acetone I buy bulk at the hair dressers supplies in Thailand has no oils or perfume in it.

12. PAR

What percentage of acetone is it and is it reclaimed? Would you even have a reliable source for this type of information over there?

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Nope--just a bunch of giggling 16 year olds in mini skirts. Ive used it for some time, it cleans resin off no problems.

Next time im at the resin shop ill'e ask him what his acetone is.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Peel Ply is basically "polyester taffeta" and is not cheap in the local dress/fabric/curtain shop but if you find the "traveller" or wholesaler, and buy in rolls from there, then the price is very reasonable (particularly if a "reject with a few flaws" as long as the weave is good and tight)... No problems... When I was building I usually bought 2 or 3 rolls at a time... (50m long and 54inches wide ???)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.