Barge building

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Frank B, Aug 13, 2023.

1. Frank B

Frank B New Member

I am a welder and pile driver by trade. I recently started buying and refurbishing barges patching sand blasting painting etc to bring them back to life then I resell them. Most of the barges are small 10-14’ wide by 30-40’ long and 3-4’ deep.

I would like to start building barges on my own from scratch. The designs are pretty simple but if I’m going to sell these I’m thinking I need to build them to match an engineered stamped drawing? Do you think I need engineering and if so who can help?

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.
    Undoubtedly, you will need a certain degree of engineering: naval architecture calculations, definition of the structure and calculation of its scantlings,... In addition, some good construction drawings, defining each piece (sketch or nested for cnc cutting), each sub-assembly, the construction strategy, in short, will save you far more money in man-hours and material vaste than the cost of making those drawings.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.