Fishing trawler conversion.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Manny, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Manny

Manny Junior Member

Would an old Dutch steel fishing trawler make a decent long distance cruiser?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

In general, old boats or anything else used for working, will be in rather poor condition. What do you mean by long distance, and what area do you plan to cruise?

3. Manny

Manny Junior Member

We are on the West Coast of Scotland, and want to cruise to Greenland, via Iceland and the Faroe Isles

I understand that generally old working boats are tired, but I'm more concerned with safety and comfort.

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

You should check the paper work first. Does it have a stability book..does it have a record of work done on the vessel since delivery to now?
    Then you should get a local naval architect to do a survey and get them to give you a better opinion with regards to the safety and operational side. They could also give advice/report on the structural integrity too.

Treat like buying an old car. It it doesn't have an MOT and doesn't have any service history...run!

5. Manny

Manny Junior Member

I have rebuilt numerous old cars with no history or mot, but somehow a 60t metal boat is more intimidating. We currently have a beneteau 35 so know from experience what we want from converting a boat.

One of the boats we have in mind failed its stability test due to the huge drums and fishing gear fitted , but that would all get removed Subject to us buying the boat.

6. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Junior Member

That depends on the boat. I've converted a few old trawlers, selling off the rigging to scrappers, having seakeeper installed and cleaning up the vessel. Biggest problem is the fish holds - depending on whether they are for live or freezers. The smell is overwhelming, even for our seafaring family.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.