fishing offshore in a rowboat.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by coopscraft, Dec 6, 2013.

1. coopscraft

coopscraft Junior Member

Happy new year to you as well, and to all:) the swampscotts are very old as well. Still I'm curious if there are any performance enhancing differences to the shelburne. Looking for the best compromise I can come up with.

2. bregalad

bregalad Senior Member

Interesting pics and a short video of dedicated surf boats doing their thing here.

These boats have lot's of buoyancy forward and very fine lines aft. From the pics and video it would appear going through surf is an iffy proposition.

3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ha Ha, you're caught in that never ending spiral of trying to find the perfect boat for the task--- In your case I would think you have two basic designs (styles) to chose from, shore launched dory and shore launched lifeboat. Both having a longitudionally, a progressively increase in it's bow displacement (schooner style ) and both having double ender characteristics(narrow stern area). Other features both have are, ample sheer to give both ends good water deflection properties and just enough beam and body shape to provide good stability but at the same time provide directional and easy rowing qualities. Last but important you also need not only ample but correctly located positive flotation. You now have three choices: (1) Buy off the shelf(plans or completed boat) (2) Meet with a professional and have him/her work up, modify an existing or recommend a design (3) Design and build it yourself. Keeping in mind with this craft you are exposing yourself to a harsh and sometimes dangerous environment, make a list of the + and -'s of the three choices above. From this make a decision and : As we say, Up North "Get at It" or Down South "Get her Done" cause you an't gonna find the perfect machine. :D

P.S. I am not a designer just an old builder with enough water experience that I have no doubt who's boss out there ---Geo.

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I was under the impression fishing was the reason for the boat and rowing was because a motor involved extra costs.

If that is still the case, that fishing is the main thing, I think it's been shown that rowing off the beach and returning would not only be a huge PITA, it's not the safest thing to be doing.

If that's what a person wants to do, that's fine. If it was up to me, I would pay the few extra regulatory dollars, get a proper boat and motor and go fishing in relative safety and comfort. Plus I could fish more with the hours saved rowing, in a bigger area and at more locations.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Sounds like the right advice to me. The "romance" of rowing through surf will disappear as fast as a capsize. People rowed boats in such conditions 100 years ago becasue that was all that was available to them, they probably hoisted sail anyway as soon as they got out past the break. In my opinion traversing surf with some degree of safety is difficult, and at the very least it requires a boat that can match the speed of the wave train, being on the face of a breaking wave in some slow conveyance is perilous.

6. coopscraft

coopscraft Junior Member

Thanks for all the input. I will be picking a design soon. I learned a lot of useful info on this thread.

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

When you are out on the rolling main and ponder the energy that is in waves, remember that that energy gets released when the waves reach the shore, you don't want to get in the way, in the wrong way, when it happens.

8. coopscraft

coopscraft Junior Member

I have been intercepted by work and haven’t done much on the boat. I have however discovered a location in my area where I can catch the fish I like standing on terra firma. Still. I have scarfed and cut the bottom out of the 15ft Gardner dory(19 ft overall). It will be built heavy in epoxy glued plywood with generous floatation. I may end up using a small trolling motor after all.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.