Fishing boat cabin rebuild - reshaped

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by dzausta, Feb 27, 2013.

1. dzausta

dzausta Junior Member

After the windscreen was fitted things went on a lot smoother. I could see how the cabin needed to be shaped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To fit the windshield I put duct tape on the bottom of the windshield frame, positioned it to how I wanted it than poured expandable foam around the gaps. That way I was able to get perfect fit for the windshield.

* Tip: When working with expandable foam I found that using a standard kitchen seal bag was much easier to pour foam with. I would mix up the foam in a seal bag by shaking it vigorously,than just cut an edge of the bag and pour it wherever needed. Pouring foam from a cup was very tricky when pouring in tight spots and caused much wastage, using a seal bag eliminated this.

2. dzausta

dzausta Junior Member

OK so next part was a little tricky. Me being a bit of a perfectionist I wanted the cabin to follow the lines of the boat. To achieve this I had to round off the front of the cabin and that was pretty simple but replicating it on the other side was a little tricky as it was my first time doing something like this. Anyhow I came on top after a while, but it was hard work.

[​IMG]

To get the right curve of the cabin I left the edges sharp just so that I can see the lines easier. After I was completely happy with the shape I rounded of the edges of my form using a drill out piece of wood with some 60 grid sandpaper glued to the contours. Going few times over the edge was all it took to get the right shape.

3. dzausta

dzausta Junior Member

Next step was glassing the foam and getting it smooth. First of all I had to fill the holes in the foam as few voids were created during the foam pour. To get better adhesion I mixed up the cheapest resin I had lying around and added in a lightweight filler to thicken up the resin a bit and fill in foam cells as much as possible. When the resin set I filled and sanded the voids.

4. dzausta

dzausta Junior Member

I added white pigment to the resin that's why it looks white. The black stuff is light spray of paint so that I can see my low spots after a light sand.

[​IMG]

5. dzausta

dzausta Junior Member

Giving the whole thing a light sand and I was ready to lay my first layer of fibreglass. I had to lay a layer of cloth to be able to fill and sand out my low spots. If I was to block sand it without the cloth I would just sand through the layer of resin to the foam and create more uneven surface.

[​IMG]

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

What is the screen off ?

7. dzausta

dzausta Junior Member

I used 1 layer of 7oz cloth to do this.

8. dzausta

dzausta Junior Member

Haines hunter 585.

9. dzausta

dzausta Junior Member

Thats all for now folks, comp decided to die so I lost the rest of the photos I will have to take them again. But Ill tell you where Im at for now. I got the form glassed and sanded smooth looking perfect, from there I waxed the form than sprayed down enough PVA. Currently I laid down 4 layers of 7oz cloth on top of the form than this weekend I plan to separate the leminate and lay the rest of the glass on the inside. Does this make sense ?

10. dzausta

dzausta Junior Member

By the way I need advice on the laminate layup. How thick should i make it? I have to complete my layup this weekend and I need to buy the glass by Friday but I havent decided on what glass weight to lay. I am using vinyl ester for this project. Im thinking a layer of CS than roving than another layer of CS. Any thoughts?

11. Mr Efficiency

Sounds like a lot of work. There are probably easier ways to have done it, I converted a centre console to a cuddy cab decades ago using sheet polyurethane foam glassed over, I can't remember the exact details of how it was done, but it was quick and worked OK. Anything that involves making a mould is long-winded and of doubtful worth for a one-piece production.

12. Mr Efficiency

I doubt many cabins on 18 footers will utilise woven material, I found out the laminate schedule on one 18 foot boat when I put the end of the rotary clothes hoist through it swinging the boat in the yard ! Just a lightweight chopper gun lay-up. Actually a cored layup is not a bad idea for a cabin, you get insulation and much less condensation on overnight usage.

13. dzausta

dzausta Junior Member

It was very hard for me to decide on how to go about with this project as I couldn't find any similar projects, it would be great if everyone posts their ideas here on how this could have been done in an easier way. Ive put a lot of hard work in here, with no experience its like re inventing a wheel. :)

14. dzausta

dzausta Junior Member

haha learned more than 1 thing that day :)

How would you do a core layup ?

15. Mr Efficiency

There is plenty of info about sandwich construction available on the net, balsa and p.v.c foam are the most commonly used cores. You also finish up with a stiffer, less vibration prone structure, and there is no need for ribs or stiffeners. The greatest difficulty using sandwich in a female mould is getting the best bond of outside skin to the core. It is more work too.