Fisher10 conversion or luan good and bad!

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by lewisboats, Jun 1, 2006.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Contemplating converting my Fisher10 10' skiff to a bassy type boat, 2 seat with front and rear decks. To do this I am going to have to repair some delaminating luan underlayment that the boat was built of. Now...keeping in mind that this stuff cost me all of $6.79 (US) per 4'x8' sheet...and only the aft 2 ft has the surface ply damaged...I think I am doing fairly good. I have about $100.00 in the boat not including the motor. The sheet of ply I used was questionable from the start and I didn't go the extra mile of protecting it properly...so now I have to fix it. Notice that the majority of the boat is sound and hale...just the aft 2 ft (the second sheet) is messed up. I plan on adding an inwale after injecting resin and getting things back together along the edges. The bottom panel will be slitted and injected with resin to seal things back up.
    Anyone got any Ideas on "engineering" remotes for a tiller motor? I need to control both the shifter and the throttle...which are separate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_hr_8369345/ca0a/__hr_/e857.jpg?grw61fEBsX_UcWUR

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_hr_8369345/ca0a/__hr_/ca75.jpg?grYK2fEBisB9xngO

Steve

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Lewis,
    1) Could you post those pics on here? The gallery site they link to appears to be either down or corrupted.
    2) Tiller-motor remotes. Most tiller motors I've used have the bolt holes on them for a remote kit, although they may be well-hidden. A push-pull cable to the throttle and a slightly beefier one to the shifter should handle these tasks. There are probably mount holes for a factory kit, and you could make a couple of brackets to fit these. For steering, I'd put a pulley under the gunwale in each corner of the cockpit and run pull-pull cables to each side of the motor, wrapping the cable into a spiral groove cut in the steering wheel shaft (with a set screw).

3. Hunter25

Hunter25 Senior Member

I would go ahead and buy a real helm. They don't cost much and don't need the adjustments a cable/pulley system does. Shift and throttle controls are more expensive and I would look to find one in a salvage yard. Both can be home made with cables and some metal work.

4. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I'll try this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The black on the floor is not rot, but dirt and stain from oak leaf decomp.

Steve

5. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

Judging from the second picture, the ply is wet and I can see its beginning to delaminate. If I were you, I would not invest $1 more on this vessel. If you like the design boat, save up a little money and build another with proper materials - then you wont feel bad about outfitting her with nicer hardware.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.