Fisher 46

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Dan.D, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Dan.D

Dan.D New Member

Greeting gents

I am newly registered with the site and haven't been getting much work done since I started reading. Knowledgeable posts and interesting topics. I am delighted to have found this source of boat design/sailing experience.
    I am a systems/electronics engineer in the employ of the US Navy who has spent 23 years designing small submersible systems for shallow water naval applications. My working years are coming to an end soon and I intend to spend more time on the water during retirement. I have owned an Allied Seawind Ketch for many years and am looking for a larger pilothouse or motorsailer type for extended cruising and live aboard.
    I would much appreciate any opinions/criticism from members with regard to the Fisher 46 for the application I mentioned. I realize that this is a great heavy beamy boat and have read the ideal cruising boat and motorsailer threads. What I most want to get a handle on is whether or not this boat will sail? I have been on board an example of this vessel at the dock. I like the space and the prospect of spending time in the pilothouse reading a book or enjoying the scenery (especially when the weather is wet or cold, I would like to explore the higher latitudes, possibly the inside passage to Alaska) but I also want a boat that will afford me the pleasure and economy of sailing when the wind cooperates. The following specs apply to the Fisher 46:
    Length overall 45ft 8 ins
    Length waterline 40 ft 0 ins
    Beam 15 ft 0 ins
    Draft 6 ft 6 ins
    Displacement 25 tons
    Ballast Weight 10 tons
    auxiliary HP 139
    The boat is double ender and has a large fishing trawler type pilothouse.
    SAIL AREAS
    Main 41.80 sq m 450 sq ft
    Mizzen 12.54 sq m 135 sq ft
    jib 22.30 sq m 375 sq ft
    (the one I am looking at has no bowsprit. The version with the bowsprit adds a 750 sq ft Genoa and replaces the jib with a 240 sq ft staysail). I will sail with 1 friend as a rule and am concerned with dealing with a sail as large as the genoa although it certainly would improve the SA/D.
    I realize that the boat is heavy and will not be much of a sailer until the wind blows 25 knots but as I read the thread on the best passagemaker/cruiser it sounds better the more I read. It has 350 fuel and 350 water and will surely carry the stores for an extended cruise.
    I have run the ratios on the the boat but these numbers do not give me a feel for the performance under sail as I have no experience with a boat of this size, displacement or sail area.
    I am really looking for input from the experienced readers as to wether this boat will be totally unsatisfactory under sail or an acceptable sailer when the wind is on the beam or on a run.

Thanks in advance for any input and glad to be onboard

Dan

2. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Hi Dan. First - I'm not a yacht designer, I have enjoyed 'lurking'in this form for many months but regietred to answer your query.

The Fisher was designed along the North Sea fishing boat lines that are suitedto the short fetch, steep waves and rough conditions of that sea off the east coast of the UK. As you say she's chunky but I guess the deciding issue is what YOU wnat from the boat - if you want speed then dont buy a Fisher. If you want safety, space and sedate performance then the Fisher could be for you. ost of the Uk boats now have the bow sprit option and many were retro fitted. It seems that many boats from the 70's are being retrofitted with them to allow extra speed. If you do want something a bit sportier but still a solid cruiser from that period, consider the Rival 41.

The best people to talk about specifics with are the yard who still build them: http://www.northshore.co.uk/ and the owners association: http://www.fisherowners.co.uk/firstpage.html

I've been a big fan of the F46 for years tho have never sailed one. Your're a lucky man. No doubt you've seen this: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/uk/l...urrency=GBP&units=Feet&checked_boats=1256643&

Richard

Attached Files:

3. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

I have sailing one and - but that is entirely personal - I don't like them. They roll heavy, are slow and not really balanced.
    They are actually motorsailors.

4. Dan.D

Dan.D New Member

"If you want safety, space and sedate performance then the Fisher could be for you" - RHP.
    These are good attributes from my point of view. My ego no longer requires Sporty.

"They roll heavy, are slow and not really balanced" - D'ARTOIS
    These are obviously not good. I am not so concerned about the slow but roll heavily and not balanced worries me.

Thanks for the response gentlemen

I hope to hear from more members

Dan

5. RHP

RHP Senior Member

The question should be why does she roll? Because there is too much weight aloft of because she doesnt have a deep keel? I suggest that if you reef at the required time for the hull design and not push past that point then she'll maintain her trim nicely. I wonder what her ballast ratio is? Pretty substantial I would imagine.

Dan, did you contact the owner's association etc..?
    Richard

6. Dan.D

Dan.D New Member

The boat has 40% of its displacement in ballast with a 6.6 foot draft! I cannot imagine why it would have a problem with rolling. I have run the roll frequency, roll acceleration and comfort factor numbers and they are very good to exceptional (Although I am not sure of the utility of these calculations as they do not include the draft and ballast ratio, Ie. the moment about the roll axis is not considered?).
    I can only guess that D'ARTOIS was onboard when the wave period and direction were such that a natural resonance in the boat dynamics was triggered.
    Dan

ps. Have not gotten around to contacting the owners assoc but it is on my list.

7. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Your remark could be very well the case. I sailed this boat on the IJsselmeer, a large, very shallow artificial lake in Holland. It used to be part of the "Waddenzee" before the Afsluitdijk was constructed.
    However she is built along the lines of the MFV and those I sailed in the Med and rolling is their natural behavior. But that doesn't say that they are not seaworthy.
    It's an observation, maybe they have improved along the years......

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.