Scan And Post Your Old Pencil And Inks...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sean Herron, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...

Cheers - happy new year and all that...

I AM POSTING A CHALLENGE FOR THE NEW YEAR - and yes I am taking it upon myself so you can all deficate down my throat if it threatens you...

Let us go back a decade when scanners cost too much for the home PC and 3D software was crawling on the floor and puking out useless drawings - and dig out our old pencil and ink sketches and post same for the generation that cannot fathom them...

It is just a thought - and I am not being negative - I think they need to know just how far this multimedia NET space has come since, say 1985 - OR MAYBE I NEED TO...:)

I just want to see some time honoured skills made inherent in new technology - does that make sense - the French seem to get it - and I hate to give the French any credit - except for those fried legs of FROG...:)

SCAN AND POST YOUR OLD PENCIL AND INKS...

It might make a seperate Gallery Index - Pencil and Ink Dinosaur Muck About Hopeless Romantics - folder...

Any thoughts - you can tell me to piss off - I can take it - or you can post some of your old crap for the rest of the viewers...

Cheers - I am going to go and get another half full glass of Whiskey...

SH.

1 person likes this.
  2. Loveofsea

Loveofsea New Member

dang, i hate that kind of language..

Historical perspective....?

speaking strictly for myself, i designed and built the good skiff back in '91. The first thing i did was to sketch my favored design... then i made a 3D model from cardboard and scotch tape... then i drew a scale chalk outline on my driveway. Then i determined the dimentions for the cardinal points; LOA, width at the widest point, width at the transom, placement of the bulkheads.

i then proceeded to dig a jig in my backyard lawn, i mounted the bowstem, 3 bhds and the transom on 4X4's. scarf spliced the rail logs and chine logs and established the loft for the hull. thickened the chine with a layer of mahogany and applied the sides, then the bottom. flipped her over and constructed the interior.

is that the kind of thing you are talking about?

please don't bite my head off:)

1 person likes this.
  3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Wow! 'Loveofsea' I bet the wife loves the hole in the lawn! or is it now a fish pond?:D

4. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I never designed anything until computers came along incidently I don't design boats, there is enough disasters at sea without my help.

Before then it was lines on paper, then drew in an alteration, then another, then later on I would find my piece of paper and think, "what the f*@k was that?"

Screw it up and throw it away.

Now I can delete unwanted lines and only leave the current ones and best of all, before I leave it, it wants to know what I want to save it under. Next time I look at it, it's got a name.

I haven't designed anything since then either but I just wanted to make a point.

Poida

5. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

I agree with you, Sean.

As with most of the computer-based world, everyone has forgotten the humble beginnings. Now it seems it is a world of oppurtunity, especially if you can churn out a few CAD drawings a month.

It's funny to think that within my lifetime (last 21 years) we have gone from a computer like the BBC Micro (actually very powerful for it's time) to the current state of play with 64 bit processors and computers that nobody would admit to imagining 20 years ago because they'd have been labelled a nutter.

What I have noticed, though, is that certain features have gone missing, like the analogue and user ports, which was a godsend for all sorts of electronics or science projects. These days, you have to add that functionality in yourself.

Unfortunately, the number of people who can actually program a computer has decreased too. There was a time when pretty much every engineer could write software, at least well enough to get the answer they wanted. Now, it's more like 1 in 20 new graduates. We have become a user-culture, largely incapable of getting a computer to do what we want it to.

Food for thought,

Tim B.

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Hey Sean,

Old crap??? I draw every day, with a pencil on a piece of paper!! Freehand but to scale. It's more immediate than any software I know of. The sketches are then scanned to become background images in Rhino or Freeship or whatever.

Pilotbay38_2.jpg

Vaquero arrang3.jpg

Christensen88.jpg

J&L39rev03.jpg

7. Sean Herron

Like lemonade

Hello...

Thanks - refreshing - and they look like boats too...

Hope has been restored...

I am guilty of being a bit of a plageristic Photoshop junkie - whatever works I suppose - but I do miss my drafting table and the mess - maybe I should set one up this weekend...

SH.

8. Loveofsea

Loveofsea New Member

Boat plans are way overrated~

I don't know why anyone would be so dependent on plans, especially for a vessel under 25ft. All you really need to do is make a sketch of your dream boat then establish a few point of referrence and get to work. You need to know how long you want it to be, how wide at the widest point, and how wide you want the transom. Build a jig to hold the transom, the bowstem, and the widest bulkhead. Use continuous lengths of wood to connect those three points. Then build additional bulkheads fore and aft to establish the lofting.

The rest can be accomplished by using common boatbuilding technique.

Remember, your best built boats use the fewest structural pieces as possible, every piece being as big as it can possibly be...

it ain't that tricky!

9. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Nice to see somebody who builds in the 'old style' in the Western world that is! Your third world guys still do it that way, amazing thing is it works! trouble is these days everybody has got to go build a boat instead of just using it [Hey I'm as guilty as the rest]! for these one off we need to look at the plan at home and dream/figure out how the hell we're going to do it! Then go do it differently but you still need the dream! The Plans help with that dream! well that's my excuse

10. Loveofsea

Loveofsea New Member

I agree about the dream safewalrus~!

evryone should have a dream...preferably one made out of wood:)

Do i know you?

how'd you know about the fishpond??

that's spookie:)

11. Sean Herron

Opinion and EGO

Hello...

Lets face it - some guys (women too) - feel at ease sculpting and carving - and other guys feel at ease drawing what they see and what is in their minds - some sing - some dance - either way it is the God given human will to create and to interpret and to reinvent the world onto which we have been 'plunked' - sometimes the experiment fails and sometimes it creates something new and wonderful - now I am sounding like a Stanley Kubrick movie ...:)

I think the greatest failing in our society today is the lack of respect for the basic and accepted understanding of 'MENTORSHIP' - no pun intended - everyone seems to believe that they do not need to learn from others - that asking questions shows an un-employable weakness - I personally know English speaking kids who do not understand the phrase - 'cutting your teeth' - or even 'proving your mettle' - they have to go get a dictionary to look up plagerism - or history repeating itself - or bibliography - credit where credit is due - on and on - it seems our vocabulary of hard won skill is now no longer part of common experience - now all they seem to understand is grade point average and pay scales - for some reason - lately - this is REALLY getting on my nerves ...

Nothing worth having comes without a fight - sacrifice - apprentice and journeyman - internship - pizza delivery man who is studying molecular biology during the day - just thought I would throw that in...:)

Tad Roberts - I really appreciate what you do and how you do it and the inherent quality in what you do - and I think that this may be the basis of my arguement - the fact that I believe the most interesting drawings and renderings and technical presentations are the ones that can be read by any trade or observer but more than that - they convey the mind set and character of the originator of same - your drawings do this - I immediately thought of William Garden while going thru your website - I loved his little pipe smoking paint can in hand man looking up at a perfectly hand drawn ISO perspective of a boat - you can see a boat on the hard in the yard with a fresh coat of bottom paint - personality and presentation are still 'sellable'...

Those are hard won skills - very hard - and thankfully so - because today - and no offense - it seems that everyone wants to sell their 'mouse jockie eye candy' - MJEC...:)

Guilty as charged...:)

Rhymes with REJECT..

OK - enough...

Cheers...

SH.

1 person likes this.

12. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Old guys like me tend to agree with the gist of this thread. Some of the brightest stuff ever to come along, not just boats, was first sketched on the back of an envelope or a scrap of wood. I use the computer because I'm in a hurry to find out if my latest brainstom genius boat will actually float. That is to say; I let the computer generate the arithmetic for me. I can do the calculations by hand, but it really does take a long time. So far I have never built a computer generated boat. I find that, when I do the drawings the old fashioned way, I catch details that might complicate construction, or discover that a slightly improved curve will make the boat better or prettier. A damned computer does not know of such advantages.

I too liked william Gardens little cartoon characters. He did offhand sketches and captured the moment like computers cannot do. Last night, I was looking at a George Buehler drawing of an 82 foot Schooner yacht that he had drawn as a commission. He said he wanted to build the boat for himself but could not afford it (neither can I ). In the upper right corner of the drawing was a cloud with a sweet smiling face perched atop. He conveyed his passion for that design very succinctly with that small detail.

I once read a tale about A man named Whistler who was a cartographer with the US Geodetic Survey. He drew charts. He was an artist of considerable ability. He always embellished his charts with dolphins, sea birds, mermaids, and such. Some bean counter type charged him with wasting the governments time and money with such foolishness. He was commanded to stop decorating his charts. It came to pass that the mariners who used his charts liked the decorations and considered them an essential part of the chart. They raised such a hue and cry about the now barren charts that the bean counter was chastised and was forced to tell Whistler to continue the decoration as before. His little doodles were definitely not MJEC. Boats and things boaty, are part science, and a large part art.

I almost resent the fact that CAD/CAM machinery can cut parts more accurately than I can, and much faster too. But the machine has no soul, no feeling, no love for what it is doing. It will cut the parts, it is inhuman, inert, mindless. If I was in the boat building business, I'd surely have one of those things though. I reckon that is a sign of the times.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.