25hp on a 10' or 50hp on a 14' Livingston

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Igor Tchouiko, Jul 12, 2023.

1. Igor Tchouiko

Igor Tchouiko Junior Member

Hello all,

I find myself in a great quandary.

I find my 10' livingston with its 10hp motor a tad bit slow and hard to run for longer distances, say 20km+

I have the option to buy a bigger 14' Livingston with a 50hp Yamaha that has only 126hrs on it for $6k CAD. Or I upgrade my Livingston with pods in the back, reinforce the transom, install a forward console with seat, and drop a 20-25hp motor on there.

For me fuel consumption and a good speed are important, as I want to go out often here in the PNW.

My lighter 10' with a 20hp seems like a good deal. But it would be a bit of work, and I am concerned about how to make sure my transom can handle it and how to reinforce it. I have heard of people putting 20-25hp motors on it. But I'm wondering if I should just grab the 14' and call it a day. That thing can do it all and would cruise comfortably. But the hull weighs an extra 110lb and the 50hp is weights an extra 120lb compared to a 20-25hp.

I would prefer my 10' but my main concern is not swamping the boat and not breaking the transom or anything else.

As an extra note, I just read online that both models have "Reinforced outboard transom, fabricated with 1” thick Penske composite board encased in fiberglass that will not rot." This makes me wonder what the makes the hp rating on the hull. Is it hull pressure at maximum weight and speed or does it have something to do with build construction and suctional strength of the transom? Obviously dropping a 50hp on a 10ft is Ludacris, but an interesting question none the less.

What insight can you offer?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
  2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

The HP rating has nothing to do with build quality, materials, strength, or anything like those. It can be calculated using a USCG formula, or actual testing by the manufacturer. Both are frequently ignored when an outboard is chosen when the actual owner is mounting a new one though.

In your case get the 14', it will be cheaper, quicker and work far better for what you want to do.

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I'd not want to go 20+km in a 10 footer.

Case closed for me.

4. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Size matters!
    10’ sounds pretty brutal, especially for long runs.

5. Igor Tchouiko

Igor Tchouiko Junior Member

Really? A 10' Livingston with a console on it would be quite comfy. I've done longer distances on it while sitting in the front with a tiller extension, that without a seat was not comfy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.