Dock Help

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by shredman, Apr 23, 2012.

1. shredman

shredman New Member

I know this is a boat building forum, my boat is working great, but my dock needs some help. My dock is made out of a pre-fab galvanized steel material. Two of the rear supports need to be replaced, but I cannot find anything about this dock. I have uploaded a few photos to: http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj233/Austinshredman/Boat Dock Repairs Needed/

I can make out a few names on the material, but I cannot find anything....anywhere. The lettering on the steel says: Granite City Steel Soft Form & Inland Ti-Co. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Any idea what vintage it is?

3. shredman

shredman New Member

No idea how old it is. I picked it up from a friend on mine, it is still in pretty good shape. It only needs a little tlc. Any suggestions?

4. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Pictures would help immensely. Oops, you've already done that, sorry.

If you can find the original installer that would likely be helpful.

Otherwise, as my good friend Clint says:

"Adapt, improvise and overcome."

5. Saildude

Saildude Junior Member

Exactly what parts do you want to replace? I see rust on some vertical angle sections - if the rust is not too bad it can be wire brushed etc. down go good metal and a high zinc paint sprayed on.

You should be able to find galvanized sections from a large steel supplier or make a new part out of plain black iron and take it to a galvanizing shop.

Depending on the part you might be able to replace or sister a part with treated wood.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.