First step in the journey

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Fishindawg, Jan 10, 2015.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Sorry, may be it is a bad translation. Let´s say "define" or "describe".

2. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

I think the pros could take this thread seriously. We see a lot of over eager amateurs who think knowing free software equals boat designer. Thus the initial reactions can be patronizing or a bit arrogant. People are tired of people asking silly questions and having no respect for the skill, knowledge and experience required from a professional. That being said poster here does seem to be here with a more realistic an humble attitude. Yes it might be naive to think one can walk into a new industry and star making boats - still I think its sensible to point at the right direction.

3. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

also Poida posted a great list in another thread:

1. Go into a business that doesn't suit you. I grasped an opportunity to go into business with low expense which should have been very profitable. But I had no interest in it, it didn't suit me and I eventually quit losing money.

2. Go into business that you know nothing about. You should work for someone in that area to learn the ropes and to establish contacts.

3. Rely on someone else for supply. You can build a good business only to have your source of supply dry up. Also known as "Having all your eggs in one basket." This also applies to relying on one major client for your income.

//

its silly to think about starting a boat manufacturing business without having worked in one. This goes pretty much for any business. To claim otherwise is ignorance and to try without experience is dumb, slow, expensive and did I say it yet, dumb way to do it.
    When you 1st work in somebody else's company you learn from valuable experience someone has already gathered (by making expensive mistakes and by spending years at it), learn all the fundamental aspects of the business itself. See what works and what doesn't.

4. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

btw. making boats is not a very lucrative line of business...

5. Fishindawg

Fishindawg Junior Member

Kerosene, you make good points. I would definitely want to work for a boat builder for a while. But assume that's the goal - to start my own building business. Where do I start building my knowledge bank while I still have a day job? Hopefully I don't come across as thinking it's easy. Just like anything, if it was so easy everyone would do it.

6. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

read some books, get on many boats. You can find many book lists from this site by searching, its a common topic.

7. Mikeemc

Mikeemc Junior Member

If starting out fresh with little knowledge make small parts for what ever, boats cars, RV stuff , covers, you get the idea. Learn to make small molds the correct way , less expense this way. Get a stack of note books mark each one glass, wood, so on , and learn to keep journals for reference. No matter how good you are, we all made mistakes in the past , school of hard knocks. Start small, the rest will come in good time. You run into a problem you can't solve , ask , no such thing as a stupid question. Just make sure you did your homework before asking , keep the flames down.
    and watch out for the bottom feeders with your hard earned cash. Stand by your word if you have one in this day and age.

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

If you think you have some insight or idea that could create a boat that betters the existing offering, go ahead and make one, but no consideration should be given to making a business out of it unless it truly is an exceptional performer, which would be a surprise if you are not thoroughly grounded in what makes one, in the first place.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There's no such thing as the perfect boat for any area or use, simply because it's such a subjective and individual view, with seriously conflicting and competing issues.

For example, well defined shoal water shapes (and typical uses therein) are in direct conflict with rough water use. A rough water boat would have a fair bit of deadrise, considerable flare forward and above normal freeboard. While a flats boat would gear up to reduce draft as much as practical, improve working the rails with lower freeboard, maybe even some poling ability and a stable fishing platform, so deadrise would be the least practical, which helps in shinny waters too.

This isn't to say you couldn't develop a set of shapes that would make a reasonable compromise, but is to say, it takes lots of experience designing power craft to get to this stage in a career. An apprenticeship in a powerboat design firm (after your degree) for a decade might get you close, though I'll bet you come up with the same set of design compromises, that are currently seen in the market place, possibly with a clever twist or two tossed in.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.