First paying project

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by rturbett, Aug 12, 2008.

1. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

Hi guys- long time no posts. Thanks to your advice, i have produced a very nice cored fiberflass hull. In fact, it turned out so good I have people who want to buy them from me- pretty cool for a guy who is just in this for fun!

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to Cover my _ _ _ from a liability standpoint?

What other issues should I be worried about when having people sail around on a boat I've made? (no motors)

Thanks
    Rob

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Here's something I just posted here, for what it's worth....

http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23800

Also, I might add there is sometimes a difference between people who want to buy something and people who will buy something. Actually forking out money causes sudden reflection.

3. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

I will explore the kit concept. That may be my salvation. The boat will be provided 85% complete.

Deposit is in hand, ( will cover cost of materials for bottom 1/2 of the boat)

second payment will be due when work on the topside commences.

Rob

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

this is what you must do
    You must ask them to sign a piece of paper stating that you offer the boat as an amatuer builder, and that you are not a qualifed builder( are you?) you must state on this paper that you offer no warranty, if in fact you do not . I offered 5 years on my alloy hulls
    Do as you are doing, it is not a deposit but a progress payment
    if the buyer is savvy he will have you sign a paper saying he has title to what he has paid for, called an instrument by way of security
    Buy doing this you are a BIT safer But you can not contract out of you legal obligations to make a safe boat suitable for purpose
    For instance, you state, this boat is suitable for this and that whatever it may be, with this and that sized motor
    Good for you mate, go for it

5. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

Thanks,
    That is good info.
    I am not a profesional builder, but I am "qualified". I've rebuilt boats from the hulls up, now I'm just building the hulls too!

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

we used to get "deposits" in thirds,,,,a third to start,,a third after hull is done,,and the last after boat was completed.
    and before i would start building them for sale,,,,,get a lawyer,,,and keep him on retainer,,, if you cant afford to do that,, you shouldnt even start.