Shallow Draft Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by depinux, Jun 3, 2007.

1. depinux

depinux New Member

Hello,
    I come here not knowing a thing about building boats. I'd like to ask you all about the possibility of building a 15 foot shallow draft 'sail' boat. (I use the 'sail' because it actually wouldn't sail, rather it would be pushed kind of like a flats boat)
    This boat would be based on ship designs during the golden age of piracy. I drew out some plans of what it would look like over all. My questions are would it be possible to build a scaled down pirate ship using a shallow draft, and if there are any builders out there, do you think you could roughly estimate how much it might cost me to do so?
    I thank you for your time.

Mike

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Firstly, Mike, welcome to boatdesign.net :)

You can certainly duplicate the topside style of an old pirate ship in something that small, it'll look a bit comical but I presume that's exactly what you want. I saw one in an old Cottage Life magazine that was essentially a pirate ship built on top of a 14' aluminum skiff hull. Stable, clever and fun.

You won't be able to keep the underwater lines of the pirate ship at all. It simply won't be stable in that size, nor will it be shallow draft. Take a look at the 15' aluminum jonboats and skiffs sold as utility/fishing craft for inspiration as to possible hull shapes. If you're willing to let us in on what kind of water/weather the boat will be used in, and possibly post a few pictures of your sketches, you'll get a lot of helpful advice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.