Seat Base Materials and repair.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Odonor, May 5, 2006.

1. Odonor

Odonor Junior Member

Hello I need to re-upholster a swing-back chair as well as a seat in the front of my center consol that sits on the bait well. I was wondering what materials work well for this type of application. (The seat Base and Foam only). I have a pretty good template from the old seat base but it is rotted through! Also if anyone knows a good upholstery shop in Columbia SC I would appreciate it!! Thanks in advance. JL

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

For the structure, resin-coated plywood is pretty common. The various polyboards on the market will last a lot longer for a bit of extra cash.

Get the highest-density upholstery foam you can find; marine grade if possible (so it won't mildew as badly). Synthetic-backing marine vinyl for the seats is readily available (don't use the felt- or fuzz-backed stuff, it rots out very quickly).

Afraid I haven't been to SC in a while, so can't speak to any local suppliers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.