WaveSki Layup

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by EddieV, Jan 5, 2013.

1. EddieV

EddieV Junior Member

Im not sure if this is the correct area but i will see how this goes.

As i mentioned in a previous thread i have god hold of a waveski mould and would like to produce at least 2 to store at my beach house to play with during summer.

The first problem ive running into is an inability to find a layup schedule of any sort for this kind of mould. Would anyone care to give a little guidance on where i should be starting with the layup before i decide if it needs any additional support anywhere like around where you sit on top?

I think i would prefer to over engineer in slightly then to under engineer it as the original couple wont be going anywhere apart from into and out of the water as the beach house is right on the beach.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Laminate schedules are design specific, typically arranged around expected loads. You can take a guess, but you'll end up with a heavy boat, if you think it's strong and stiff enough. What mold (design) do you have?

3. EddieV

EddieV Junior Member

PAR, thanks for your reply. The mould is a two part mould with the hull and the deck separate with and outwards facing flange.

Its 3 metres long and about 700mm wide and a sit on top type with a moulded area for your behind and for your feet.

Obviously im expecting there is a greater load around this area and as said i would be happy to over engineer the layup slightly compared to not having enough because once joined there is no going back easily.

As im new to fibreglass i dont even know where to start and what would be considered a reasonable safe margin.

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

What is the reason you want to make these yourself? I ask that because it's normally cheaper to just buy them and do any repairs needed because you need to buy every single piece needed to put one together anyhow.

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Post some picture amd give a look at what you have . then can get a better idea of a layup schedual !! The shape is all important for a glass lay up and what glass to use ! :D

6. EddieV

EddieV Junior Member

I just like doing stuff i guess is the best answer. At this stage i would like to produce two so i can leave them up at the beach house so when i head up i can go for a paddle with my wife.

7. EddieV

EddieV Junior Member

I have attached some photos, as you might be able to see the mould is in what i consider to be rough shape with a couple of patches of fiberglass showing through where it has been rubbed back.

Attached Files:

8. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Ok so you seen what the guy used to re do his mould that what you can do as well . You would only need a litre of durateck and apply a couple of generous coats do the flanges as well make sure you block sand the flat areas and you should be able to get one really good mould made and really shiney .
    Lay up !! In reality the board would be best glassed and 100% filled with foam theres a big but at this point . Filling with foam will be a test !!
    Two part foam is not ever easy to work with !The glassing would have to be finished and the two halves left in the mould and the two halves of the mould clamped together!! One way is to simply pour the foam into one half and then put the other half on top and screw it all together and let the foam do its thing .

The other way is to find some one that had a polyurethane gun and inject the foam in but you would have to make a small place in the back of the mould to be able to insert a hose pipe all way down inside the board to within a foot of the end and as it fills draw the hose out . This all happens in just a few seconds and before the foam stops working you need to plug the hole and stop the foam from coming out , .

The last way is to not use any exspanding foam but make the board with a core between the glass layers and again you would need a drain in the back end of the board . Th joining of the two halves is a bit of a mission ! Something to think about and i will be back soon !!:confused:

9. EddieV

EddieV Junior Member

I have thought about the joining of the two halves and its a bit of a head scratcher.

10. EddieV

EddieV Junior Member

I was hoping to stay away from expanding foam if possible given this is my first venture into fibreglassing and wanted to keep it as basic as possible.

If i was to use the sandwich method what corematerial and thickness of material would you suggest using ?

Plus also any idea on the quantity of fibreglass matting to use?