Please help Im trying to be on the lake for the forth?

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by RYAN0987, Jun 26, 2006.

1. RYAN0987

RYAN0987 New Member

I just got my first boat it has a 3.0 merc in it sup rebuilt. Heres my problem and Im in know way a mech. When I try to start it it cranks fine and runs as long as I hold the key in the starting pos. keeping the starter held when I let go of the starter it stops running. I know its bad on my starter so I need help before I burn it up! When I holding the starter I can give it gas and it reves up. But only when Im holding the starter???? Can anyone help? I have searched but have found anyone with the same prob! Im sure its something simple well I hope!!! Thanks guys Ive read alot and you guys know your stuff!

2. RYAN0987

RYAN0987 New Member

By thr way its a 1990 glasstream 17.2 foot I guess bow rider it has seats on the bow?

3. my-dream

my-dream New Member

The first thing to check would be power to the coil with the ing. switch on. If theres no power with key on check the ing switch. You can test it with a volt meter. I've ran across this problem before and it turned out just to be a bad ing. switch

4. RYAN0987

RYAN0987 New Member

Thanks Im not sure how to check it so Ill just buy a new one and see! If that isnt it oh well Ill have a new key! I was thinking that could be it!

5. my-dream

my-dream New Member

Hey good luck, that should fix the problem.

6. RYAN0987

RYAN0987 New Member

Thanx, I hope so! I know its something simple like that, and Id rather buy one and check it out and I can always take it back!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.