Dumb question, laminating resin

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Cjmac, May 24, 2018.

1. Cjmac

Cjmac Junior Member

Will laminating resin cure to a NON tacky / sticky finish if left long enough ? Reason i ask is i have some that was from a small repair i made 6 months ago .. i wasnt sure if it was still good . So make a little test piece, after about 24 hours it was a hard finish . NOT sticky or tacky . Im use to using epoxy or finish resin .. maby the store mixed a little wax in it by mistake?.. the repair i made . I layed it up, let it tack for few hour then covered with gelcoat with wax ..

also anyone ever used totalboats resin or products

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Laminating resins will cure fully without suffocation, but it useally takes a few days. Could you have over catalyzed?

Sounds like your repair should hold up well.

I don't have personal experience with totalboat products.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Laminating resin has low viscosity for faster wetting. It may or may not have wax if it is polyester or vinylester. If you are doing a repair, it is common to use waxed resin when it won't need painting or gelcoating. However, it is difficult to clean the surface for any coating to adhere.

4. Cjmac

Cjmac Junior Member

I used 1.5 % .. i didnt know laminating resin would fully cure without covering it . .. guess ill use it . Its not for a structural piece any way . Just making a panel for some gauges .. really didnt want to glass over wood but , its just a gauge panel .

5. Cjmac

Cjmac Junior Member

So whats the trick to glassinh around sharp corner?

6. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Don't

If you really need sharp corners

Ease to as fat a radius as feasible
    Pre seal wood with resin
    Lightweight cloth, multiple layers if needed
    Generous overlay onto faces
    Staples
    Rebuild corner sharpness with fairing compound

Good luck
    Paul

7. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Make a resin paste or bog with talc or a light weight filler and paint it into your sharp corners before you apply the glass. Wet on wet.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.