Semi bulbous forefoot

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by iceboater, Feb 1, 2012.

1. iceboater

iceboater Junior Member

I would like to get opinion from experienced person, on having a semi bulbous forefoot on a planing boat.

From my reading about boat design I have not found any mentioning about bulbous going together with planing boat.

What would be the benefits of it, if there is any?
    Is it practical to put a bulbous forefoot on planing boat to make it displacement or semi-displacement?

I have seen bulbous forefoot on planing boats from 3 manufactures of commercial fishing boats.
    These boats are 31-35´long and have beam of 11-12´.

On the the photos you can see what I think is a semi bulbous forefoot. Maybe it is called something else.
    One of the boat is shown without the bulbous.

Thanks, Axel

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Most of the newer planing hulls come that way now. It keeps the boat dryer by defecting spray. Also, it looks good. Can't help you with the angle or degrees needed to be effective.

3. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

There is more to making a hull displacement than adding a nose. It is probably the least important. The Stern and underside of boat is the problem.

4. eyschulman

eyschulman Senior Member

Do these boats have bow thrusters? Could the placement of a thruster ferther forward have anything to do with this bow variation?

5. iceboater

iceboater Junior Member

Thanks for your replies. Can you give me an example of newly designed boat in size 31-35´with this kind of bow?

Yes, they do have thrusters, but to my knowledge thrusters location has nothing to do with the bulbous. And actually the way they ad the bulbous to regular bow, they can not install the thruster in it.

6. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'm guessing a 'wave breaker' so the hull doesn't take full

slap of wall of angled water hitting same angled hull at the bow.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.