Software Info

Discussion in 'Software' started by lomar, Jul 6, 2008.

1. lomar

lomar New Member

I am looking for software to create 3D drawings of inflatable boat tubes, split them and flat pattern them for printing or exporting to a computer-controlled vacuum cutting table which I am also on the lookout for. If any one could be of assistance would appreciate it

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Most surface modelling programs are capable of this sort of thing. Since each segment of an inflatable's tube must be developable (or very nearly so) in order to be fabricated, no fancy stretching or flattening algorithms should be needed, just a plain old "unroll developable surface" feature. Rhino would seem to be the practical, relatively inexpensive choice, but there are plenty of other programs that might suit your needs.
    Getting the patterns is of course only one very small part of the whole process. It sounds like you're planning to go into mass production; I presume you're already familiar with the hornets' nest of issues that entails?

3. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Have a look at touchCAD it has way more control when you expand a surface than rhino, they have some examples of inflatables expanded using TouchCAD.

Prosurf has a version called Pilot3D and is able to expand surfaces with double curvature

As marshmat point it out you may not need to expand double curvature surfaces, but working with what you want to do i may look into a software that has more control and more options for developing than rhino, rhino is the best but for developing surfaces i will double check those options before deciding.

And to be helpful to your question, try TouchCAD first my guess is that you may need to develop double curvature surfaces at some point

4. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

Also worth noting is that TouchCAD not only unfolds the surfaces, it also adds seam allowances parametrically, keep track of panel ID's, allows material nesting throughout the design process. It also exports ready to cut files in most commonly used file formats used in the fabrics industry.

Needless to say, it also handles the rest of the design and modeling of all major panels. Here is a nine-meter long example by North Sea Boatworks in Sweden.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.