Fine boat wood working traditional pegged planking keel and planks laid

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by sdowney717, Sep 20, 2021.

1. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Maybe Phillipine Mahogany or some other Indonesian hardwood. But not likely softwood the way they beat on it.

3. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

For planking most likely bangkirai (shorea levis) aka. yellow balau, a very dense and hard wood. Even denser and harder is ulin (eusideroxylon zwageri), endangered but very popular. Merbau (intsia) an teak (tectona grandis) are also used if available.

fallguy and skyking1 like this.
  4. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Part 2 for the same boat
    (1) CARA MEMBUAT PERAHU KAYU part 2 || proses awal membuat sebuah perahu kayu - YouTube

(1) WOOD BOAT MAKING || KM. STEENKOLEN FISHING ADVENTURE - YouTube
    Here is another one further along, though it looks like maybe the same place with several boats in progress.
    They build the outer hull first, then they put in the framing.
    I would think such a boat would be much more durable and stronger than the wood boats production builders turned out here up till the early 70's.
    I imagine only a few have the skill to build this way. Imagine getting all that planking properly drilled and lined off.

The yellow balau is a very durable wood.
    Yellow Balau Decking | Bankirai Decking | Yellow Balau Exterior Deck Supplier (novausawood.com)

5. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

PROSES AWAL HINGGA PEMASANGAN TULANG PERAHU KAYU - YouTube
    The types of wood used, whatever they are, I am unfamiliar and likely the same for the other videos.
    I think for Bone he means the interior framing wood

From the vid description

Keel from ironwood 9 meters long
    Boards of meddang wood (4 pieces below) and marsolo wood (4 pieces and above) With a board width of 20 cm, 2.5 cm thick and 4 meters long
    Bone boat from betti wood with a size of 6 × 8 cm.

Boat size after completion: 14.7 meters long 2.4 meters wide

And regarding wooden boats in marinas in the Atlantic mid south, I still find some very prejudiced people. Guy just brought in his FG bathtub boat a month ago and as I met him he tells me, " I am walking down the dock and I see what a wooden boat?, I can't believe they let a wood boat in here. Most marinas wont allow them in their slips..."
    Then he says he went and talked to the marina owner, saying "why did you do that." And she at least knows me well enough to tell him, "well he maintains his boat."
    Those were his first words to me. He did after I told him how I had restored it, say it has nice lines.

I honestly wished I did not have to rely on a marina at all.
    I know of about 3 marinas that do not want your business if you have a wooden boat of any kind.
    2 wont haul out any wood boats, the rest will. One has many wood boats, York River Yacht Haven, but refuses to haul out any claiming they crack like eggs, then they get sued.

My feeling is the farther south you go, the more likely they don't want your wood boat at their marina, as I still see plenty of wooden boats up north.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.