Finding out what model Outboard!!

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by MengWalton, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I guess the split type gearbox would be a good identification.

Ive never seen a cylinder head like that, it looks like the water jacket has been removed.

Crikey its over 40 years old. Is it a fossil.

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Yes cylinder head is a one piece casting
    and yes its 40 years old but i'll bet it still runs
    The aluminium was good and there was quality stainless where there needed to be stainless
    A photo from the exhuast side of the powerhead would help identify it.
    Any old dealer will know exactly what it is when they see it i.e needs to be a grandfather
    18-20 same size 33-40 bigger size. Its not a 25 (1971)as they had a split gear case but a different shape

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Whooa its way before my time, is it a magneto or points?

4. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

My bad..my 1963 is an 18, not a 15. It's been a long time since it had any markigns on the cover.

5. MengWalton

MengWalton Junior Member

Thanks guys, it does run however there is alot of carbon build-up on the pistons and the gaskets look well, they've seen better days, when I eventually get the head off there are some head bolts that are giving me alot of trouble, completely wedged snapped my socket (any tips would be much appreciated) , as I was saying I would love to get hold of some new pistons, rods and mabie even liners depending on if I can get hold of any and price, is there anything I should look out for like for damage in the lower unit, i know what to look for in the engine just not the lower unit, I will take a pic of the exhaust side tomorrow, reli reli need a model number.

Thanks Again Guys
    John

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

its points magneto as opposed to magneto CD
    Things to look for;
    is the top seal of the motor leaking allowing oil onto the points and if the engine has done lots of hours the armature ( plate the points and coils are mounted on and rotates for timing) bearing will be worn and hence when it moves will alter the point gap.
    There was a kit years ago to repair that issue.
    Its just a plain bronze bush riding on the crankcase.

Liners are cast in and very thick so you can rebore them.

Re the model number, its not so critical ( like a newer engine) that you know the exact year as they basically stayed the same for the entire production run.
    As I said try to find a dealer that been in business for a long time.
    BRP would still have some part I would guess.
    The engines were very tough so lasted a long time.

Check the oil in the gearbox they were pretty tough also and easy to repair.

7. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Leave the head on ....if you have no problem why remove it ..of course its got carbon its a 2 stroke .......get it running and repair only if neccessary....water pump most important bit

how can 1970 be a musem piece its only 40 years old ...Just off to a meet this weekend with the 1947 British Seagull and its baby brother a 1970 model with "Plastic bits"

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Bit late to leave the head on since hes snapped off some studs.

My comment a while ago to throw it away will become a reality before long. Working on old engines is a skill but working on old outboards is an art.

Stud extracton, tapping, threading, over sizing, drilling out.

9. MengWalton

MengWalton Junior Member

Hi,

I haven't snapped any of the studs off, gimme some credit, I removed some but there are a couple that's reli stuck in there, snapped my socket set trying to remove them, think I might have to drill them, as for the motor when I say carbon buildup I mean tons and tons of carbon, and the head gasket looks like it was made by a first year cadet, IDE like to get inside it just for peace of mind, as for the model number for the gaskets etc, if there were a few the same then could anyone chuck any part numbers about, I live in newcastle, England , there arnt many outboard dealers and about 99.9% are official yamahar etc just sales men bascly. I would love to get my hands on the manual or exploded drawing. I'll take a pic of the exauhst side later and post it.

Thanks again lads
    John

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Newcastle!! I don't know anyone round there what about Windermere, Bowness etc Take your old gasket --might get lucky.

next I know of is Lancing Marine Southampton --they do marine stuff but deisels but hey --they may know who to call.

Lancaster canal basin!!! its more of a canal engine!!!

Google lancing Marine

11. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

12. MengWalton

MengWalton Junior Member

Will there be any engraving/markings on anything inside the engine, reli need a exploded digram etc. , can i get nothing from the silver core with numbers on ? hate not being able to fix something.

Cheers
    John

13. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

No there will be almost no numbers on internal parts.
    this is a screen dump from the brp web page for a 68 18hp

PS Whats the silver core?
    On crowley marines web site a 040 piston is still available usd75
    Once we guesstimate what model it is for sure you will find an original workshop manual on ebay

Attached Files:

14. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Now Frosty ..Newcastle and Windermere are on different sides of the country ignoring the fact he has not told us which Newcastle he lives in....Personally I think better photographs ..propeller spline count and put a request on Iboats.com and you will sort it as for certain its american.

The carb is wrong for a Chrysler ...the colour is wrong for a mercury ..I think its a Johnson...so if we know that measure the stroke through the plug hole and the bore if the head comes off and 500 cc is 25/30 HP

Pin drive prop before 77 13 spline 77 on

15. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

true but its not a 25 of any year

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.