SKUD 18 : Lead Assisted Skiff

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

This is a "skiff" targeting ablebodied and disabled sailors designed by Julian Bethwaite. Since I am working on a similar project for me personally I'm curious if anyone has seen or sailed this boat . I'm interested in comments regarding the design concept as well.
    Here are the specs:
    LOA-18'
    Beam- 7.55'
    Draft- 5.77'
    Mast Height- 23.6' above deck
    SA-114.5 sq.' main ; 51.5 sq.ft. jib ; 223
    sq.ft. Spinnaker
    Capacity- 551lb.'s for two sailors and gear
    Boat weight- 275lb.'s
    Keel weight-342 lb.'s
    -----------------------
    Here's a web site with a bit more info:
    Access Dinghies comes in 2 sizes
    Address:http://www.sail-s.com/Access_Dinghy/Access_Dinghies.htm Changed:7:04 PM on Friday, March 24, 2006

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

4. Nobody

Nobody Junior Member

Doug,

I have seen one down at WSC in Sydney. I have seen it on the shore and out sailing but have not sailed it.

My general comments are:

1) Very interesting boat and well set up. The seats/steering and sail control systems all show a well thought through design to make it easier to handle and borrows a lot of setup from the other skiffs.

2) The boat heals a fair bit. Because the crew is on the centre line it has no righting moment until healed. This means that the dynamics downwind are quite different to other "skiffs". It dosent carry the apparent wind far enough forward to really "hook in" like a 49er or 29er.

It would be interesting to comapre the boat to other small keel boats.....

Nobody

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.