Help w/ gel coat on 85 cobia!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by tapoutking, Sep 19, 2007.

1. tapoutking

tapoutking Junior Member

Hey guys looking for some advice asap, I reglassed an 85 cobia, and started the gelcoating process on the inside, floor, sides, console! I sprayed it on using a wax additive w/ the proper hardener amount, I did two coats and after 24 hrs the tackiness is still there and I'm not sure what to do, I've tried cold water and some other things in small spots, I did notice a couple spots wher I spilt it a little were rock hard cause of the thickness I guess, I was wondering if I should roll on another coat so its thicker or whats the best thing to do! thanks Greg

2. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

sounds like you need more wax in the gelcoat, sometimes the wax addative doesnt have enough wax this is often from the sulpiers pouring off small contaners from a barrel and not mixing first,

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

try wiping down with a rag and acetone,,sometimes that will get rid of enough tackiness to sand without going through a roll in a a square foot. but i would never spray over it again like that. and sometimes the cause is the weather,,humidity, how long its warm before cooling down. sometimes its the amount of wax you used and how much styrene you used for a thinner

4. tapoutking

tapoutking Junior Member

Ok, I rolled on a coat this time w/ fresh gallon of gelcoat in the same color silver cloud, bought good wax solvent and used 1oz per quart, and plenty of hardener, I rolled on a fairly good coat, its been 24hrs some spots are hard some still tacky its outside not in my garage and all three pans i was using are hard as a rock from the left over even the thin parts, I am in Florida wny other suggestions I will try the acetone if it doesn't finish hardening,

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

sounds like the humidity is messing with ya, or temps. going from cooler nights to warm hot humid day probably is putting moisture on your boat. the boat will hold that night time coolness for hours,,then heating up during afternoon will cause moisture,, even if you cant see it its there.there might be another problem, but this is my only guess.in 15 years of dealing with boats as a fairer i've only run into this a few times, and i do the acetone thing and sand till i hit good hard gel-coat, then re-spray it. good luck man

6. tapoutking

tapoutking Junior Member

I dont think its a weather issue cause everything else is hard and there are a bunch of spots where it is hard and a dull color is there anything I can seal it w/ or spray cause quit frankly I'm done its got three coats and I am not stripping it back down, any other suggestions, thanks for the help

7. tapoutking

tapoutking Junior Member

Maybe i could just lightly wipe it down w/ acetone and paint it w/ marine paint!

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

is there still tacky spots?, and you might try sanding one of the sticky spots down as far as you dare without going through, try a spot in least obvious place. remember to leave enough for the wet sanding. try wiping with acetone before sanding. as far as sealing, all i've ever done is paint with awl-grip

9. tapoutking

tapoutking Junior Member

Isn't that a texture almost like sand in the paint!

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i think your thinking of "non-skid",,awl-grip is a brand name of very hard (better then gel-coat) marine paint. it comes in alot of colors, easy care, and is a great (best ) looking finish,,,(if done right heh)

11. tapoutking

tapoutking Junior Member

Can you roll it on?

12. tapoutking

tapoutking Junior Member

Do you think I could paint that right over the gelcoat or should I wipe most if it down w/ the acetone, I will do this today!

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i think you can, but to get a good glass like finish, you'd probably need to do alot of sanding. if your going to have bottom paint you can roll on most of them. the "petit" brand for sure. you might want to talk to your closest boat yard, or dealer, and ask them about paint thats good for rolling. i'm sorry i cant give a definite answer, but i alwaYs spray, except for bottom paint.

14. tapoutking

tapoutking Junior Member

Ok I sanded and cleaned most w/ acetone to get it tack free, as for awl-grip $250 a gallon is way steep, I'm going to use the interlux brightside poly topcoat it seems to be the one, its stain and scratch proof and is one part no mixing w/ hardeners like awl grip, so I let you know, I'll put up some pics when painted, I think I'm going to do the blue glo white!

15. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ya awl-grip is expensive , but that 1 gallon makes 2 gallons because its a 1 part to 1 part mix. i've never used a 1 part paint before, i'll be curious as to the toughness and ability to not dull, and im not sure bout the not scratching or staining part,, ive never seen a paint do that, but salesmen alwaYz over do their product haha. let me know how it turns out, it might be a choice i give my customers that dont want to spend the big bucks heh ;) good luck man, and if theres anything else let us know

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.