Finally some picks on the boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Reid Crownover, May 1, 2018.

1. Reid Crownover

Reid Crownover Young Hustler

here are a few pictures that show a little of the boat I am currently building. this is my first "Large boat" at 21ft LOA. The boat is built out of wood I have gotten from construction sites and will end up with a fiberglass hull. The hull is a semi displacement hull but I am having a hard time trying to figure out what sort of speed I should be looking at. Going to put a 50-60 hp mercury on the boat. Any questions, comments, or concerns?

Attached Files:

• cy1.jpg
      cy1.jpg
      File size:
      79.2 KB
      Views:
    • cy2.jpg
      cy2.jpg
      File size:
      93.2 KB
      Views:
    • cy3.jpg
      cy3.jpg
      File size:
      76.4 KB
      Views:
  2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I'd like to know where those construction sites might be..? Oh, ok. Texas, never mind, that's too far.
    50-60 hp might be a bit more than needed.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

The hull design has some serious limitation if you expect speed.

Its quite short, and it has a curved keel line., and it has sudden "steps" in the flow of the hull line.

If you were wanting to to a better job, the idea would have been to plane the planks to abou 1/4 - 3/16", and laminate or join them them into long, continuous planks that you could curve.

If you have access to a big planer, I would recommend you wreck the hull, and do it over again.

At the moment, you wouldn't be worth buying a motor over 10 hp, in case you get some serious and dangerous performance problems.

For a small investment, you could get some plans that would be OK for a 60 HP, and get some decent performance.

It might sound more work, but with a little bit of planning, you could end up with a boat that you could be really proud of.

4. Reid Crownover

Still much work needs to be done on getting the hull ready for glass and smoothing it out. what performance issues do you think I would be having? I did not think this boat would be capable of anything over about 15 knots. I did my best to build a semi displacement hull do to the fact that I plan on making long journeys with this boat and with a considerable amount of weight on board. My original plans were for a deep v planing hull that I was going to make out of aluminum but a recent move and budget issues made that idea not realistic. I have read quite a few books over the course of this project and changed some things accordingly but in short with the amount I have learned If I was to do this project over again I would do it completely differently. I am determined to finish tho ;)

5. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Finishing is admirable but rwatson is certainly right. You will not get 15 knots from that boat. No matter what engine.

6. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Really guys, someone is going to drown. Reid is in need of serious help unless his handle is a true indication of his intent with this thread. There is a temptation to say more but..................

Wayne Grabow likes this.
  7. Reid Crownover

What sort of speed do you think I can be expecting. The boat has a 7.5 foot beam, and is 21.5 feet long, Was meant to be a semi displacement hull and I think I did an ok job and making that. the dead rise is about 15 degrees.

8. Reid Crownover

Hopefully I won't drown when I put this thing in the water.

9. Reid Crownover

Also may be worth mentioning that this boat is not really meant to be hella fast. Range and accommodation is more what I was after. My friends and I are going to take this boat from Freeport, Texas all the way to Panama City, Florida (Navigating the swamps and ICW and GIWW).

10. Wayne Grabow

Wayne Grabow Senior Member

I am with you, Tom.

rwatson likes this.
  11. Reid Crownover

I'm just trying to learn... seems that there is only so much I can learn from reading. In the fall I start with the naval architecture program at UNO and I also plan on taking the westlawn course online. this boat was more of a fun project that I am using to try and learn. I really would like to hear what people think of the project good or bad and how they think it is going to perform. The other thing about this boat is that I have done it up to here purely from scrap material.

12. HJS

HJS Member

Please, this is no boat. It does not even look like a boat. Sorry.

13. Reid Crownover

Damn, I was thinking it at least looked a little like one.

14. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Reid,
    Assuming you are serious, I have to ask if you have ever seen anything similar in any of the books on boats you read? Before you nail another board on your project, I recommend Dave Gerr's book "The Nature of Boats" as a first step in learning what a boat is and what a boat is not. Its a simple book for the layman wanabe boat builder, buyer or operator but will start your learning process, which I must warn you has not yet begun. We are sometimes the recipient of similar boat project submissions but there is strong evidence that the perpetrators are influenced by illegal substances.

Good luck with your NA study program but do not allow you UNO instructor see this project.

15. Reid Crownover

oof, sounds good. I will have to look into that book. and to answer your question, no I haven't seen a picture of something resembling my little work of art. I understand that the "Boat" is kinda ugly, and probably has a plethora of other issues but ya mean, i'm kinda excited. I designed it from the ground up and its really my first big project. I am just a 17yo kid with a love for the ocean and ambition. I realize that I know relatively nothing about the field other than what I have read in "Introduction to naval Architecture" "Naval Architecture for non naval architects" "Aluminum boat building" and a set of SNAME textbooks a friend in the field gave me. I assure you this is a legit project and hope that as I continue making progress on it, the legitimacy will become more apparent.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.