Final Project: Ferry Hydrofoil Design

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by radityonugra, Apr 6, 2017.

1. radityonugra

radityonugra New Member

Hello i'm an undergraduate student in Department of Naval Architecture and Shipbuilding Engineering, Faculty of Marine Technology, Sepuluh Nopember Institute Technology, Surabaya, Indonesia.

I wanna ask for more about my final project, the title is "Design of High Speed Passenger Craft (Ferry Hydrofoil) for Batam, Indonesia to Singapore". Design is conceptual design.
    I just inspired this title from my friend when visits to Hong Kong and sail to Macau with Jetfoil from TurboJET.

I found my problem to calculate the displacement and volume displacement, coefficients (block coefficient, waterplane coefficient, etc), resistance and propulsion.

To calculate all of them, what references can I use? Please do me a favour because I distracted to begin this project.

Thankyou for your cooperation.

2. radityonugra

radityonugra New Member

help please

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Does your university have a library...and access to the internet and inter library loan system?

Silly question - but i can't assume for now.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

How is it possable an undergraduate is needing help with volumetric basics? I don't know about you, but that scares the hell out of me . . .

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You have to understand our surprise when verifying that a student who wants to make his career's final project raises questions on basic subjects that are treated in the first years of the career. But do not doubt that some of us do want to help you. It is, of course, to help you to learn, it is not a question of giving you a project, which you can not understand, to comply with a procedure and fraudulently obtain a degree. So the first thing you should do is talk to your teachers and see if they can do anything for you.
    But if for some reason, which you should explain, you can not use the means that your university should put at your disposal, you should help us a bit so that we can help. First, you must define the "State of Requirements" of your boat with a preliminary General Arrangement drawing.

7. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Perhaps his question has been misunderstood. Instead of interpreting it as "Given a hull form, how does one calculate the displacement and volume displacement coefficients (block coefficient, waterplane coefficient, etc)...?" his question should be interpreted as, "Given a set of operational requirements how does one get a first estimate of the displacement and volume displacement coefficients (block coefficient, waterplane coefficient, etc), to initially size the hull?"

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.