transom repair required

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by reelboater, Apr 3, 2015.

1. reelboater

reelboater Junior Member

Hello ,
    I was getting ready to repower my 9925 Grady White, after my mechanic removed my twin 200’s he noticed that my transom was showing signs of rot. I am on the fence if I should repower to this boat or go and buy another, I'm just totally confused any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. FMS

FMS Senior Member

You mention your mechanic removed your 200s before noticing the transom issue.

What is the condition of your outboards now?

The amount of value in your current motors will probably determine your course. A transom replacement is a common repair. However, the cost of a pair of 200 hp outboards is about the same as a used boat with outboards in this market.

3. reelboater

reelboater Junior Member

transom repair follow up

thanks for the quick get back...The motors are shot that is why I am repowering. I already have 2 newer 200's that I have purchased and have been waiting to install on this boat. We pulled the second motor today , and I have another fiberglass contractor coming by today to get a second quote. I will keep you all updated.
    thanks Bill

Attached Files:

4. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Now is the time to do it.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Where are you located in Florida, as I've done dozens of transoms over the years and there aren't many I trust to do a transom core properly.

6. reelboater

reelboater Junior Member

North of Naples ,Bonita Springs

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I used to live on Marco, but am now in central Florida, just above Orlando.

8. reelboater

reelboater Junior Member

I have friends in Ocala area message me your contact info I will forward you to them.
    With that said as for my nightmare,Removed the second motor transoms inner core was completely rotten, deck and stringers were found to be ok..

I Did some searching online found a company called seacast ,,wasn't too impressed it was pretty much water permeable bondo and get this they said to start my repair with a 'CHAINSAW" I asked them wouldn't that be dangerous and leave oil in my transom from the bar???

They couldn't answer me and started right in on discounted shipping. Well that's when they lost me . Searched some more and found a new product that has been used in boat manufacturing for years .

They now sell to the public in a DIY kit . It is a 3 part liquid core called TRK-2000. They are overnighting me a sample. I will keep you all up dated. Thank you all or your feedback.

9. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

10. reelboater

reelboater Junior Member

Cracked transom Complted Time to go fishing:::::

Hi All,
    Again thanks for all the advice especially from you Par…. I was able to find a fairly new company that sold a DIY transom repair Kit. They walked through the whole repair via Skype and they sold me all the materials that I require to complete my transom repair .

What a really awesome product with a company to back it. They were able to ship my repair kit overnight due to the no hazmat restrictions, I mean they sent me everything even fiberglass. The only item they weren't able to ship me overnight was the resin witch I picked up a gallon of 3M at home depot with hardener. We gutted the transom on Saturday applied the kit the same day .

Re fiber glassed the cap on the back on ,made filler with the powdery stuff they provided and picked and only had to pick up a qt of Awl Craft 2000 at West marine . I have to tell ya with their Skype system and with a knowledgeable fiberglass engineer right there It turned out pretty good , I mean a couple of runs in the paint which my motors covered anyway other than that the job looks pretty damn good and the repair was right around 1000 my mechcanic swapped them for free for swap of the 2 blown 200s that were on the boat

Well thanks again for the kid kind guidance from fellow boaters. Regards Bill By the way how can I post my pictures ya really gotta see this stuff

11. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

You can attach your photos or use a free service like photobucket.com.

12. reelboater

reelboater Junior Member

Here are my transom repair pics

Here are some of the pic from my DIY transom repair on my 9925 Grady White... Took her out and ran her hard everything looks good so far. You guys really need to check out this product ,I am getting another smaller kit to repair a soft spot in my deck.

I also told them about this awesome forum and i think they are going to Join and offer transom advice.. I have to say they really helped me I couldn't and wouldn't of done this repair without them.. And i have to say It was really quite interested and gratifying to be able to take part in the repair of my own boat.. Plus it saved me a bundle ...:)

Well anyway thank you all for everything ,,next pics are gonna be some fish that I land,, Heres the website for anyone that is interested.
    www.transomrepairkit.com.

Thanks ,Bill

20150110_015332.jpg

20150121_170511.jpg

20150109_224857_resized.jpg

20150109_231803_resized.jpg

20150110_004057_resized.jpg

13. bigdouga

bigdouga Junior Member

So, if I understand this right, I simply buy this product and pour it into the transom cavity and it hardens to form a permanent transom?

14. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

That is a huge gap (space) to fill with epoxy.

15. bigdouga

bigdouga Junior Member

That's what I was thinking!

However, I am not opposed to trying new "technology" provided it has a proven track record.