Fin stabilisers

Discussion in 'Stability' started by dick, Jun 15, 2014.

1. rustybarge

rustybarge Cheetah 25' Powercat.

Is it true that they take 30 minutes to spin up before they start to work?

...wouldn't really be a problem, by the time to get the engines started, the gear stowed and the lines cast off.

2. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Those Seakeeper gyros are a very solid product. I too have zero involvement with the company, but the company was formed and that product developed by a former partner of mine, some 15 years ago. Interestingly..fortunately, perhaps...his gyros and the products my company provide for ship stabilization are in entirely different realms.;)

3. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

At the time I did my refit I could have installed a Seakeeper for the same cost. But it needs 2.5kVA to operate, and the only place it would have fitted was where the genny was. And there was nowhere sensible to put the genny.

With a clean sheet/new build I think I would go with Seakeeper although I would like to have a seatrial of an installation first. A cheaper gyro used to make a friends wife seasick due to a 'snap back' of the roll. But Seakeeper is likely much better. And if you dont mind the genny running then you can use it at anchor. The fin folks have 'at rest' systems, but they are going to need power to operate and I doubt they would be as effective as a gyro at anchor.

4. dick

dick Junior Member

Hi Brian
    Did you fit 7.5 sq ft fins?

5. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

Hi Dick
    Yes that's correct. Is that the size you are looking at?

6. dick

dick Junior Member

Yes Sorry
    I missed that detail in your previous reply it looks like Naiad are considerably cheaper than the rest at 36.5K AUD + gst without the hydraulic pump and tank so I will probably go that way thanks for the feedback.

7. rustybarge

rustybarge Cheetah 25' Powercat.

8. dick

dick Junior Member

Thanks Rustybarge
    That's a good link which gives good detail to some issues I was not aware of I have to admit I have not read the installation manuals in full but I am a hydraulic engineer and have built my own 10 metre steel boat before this one so the fitting will not be a problem and the hull was prepared with mounting blocks on construction.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.