Filling old holes on a steel deck.

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Conachair, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Conachair

Conachair Junior Member

Filling old holes on a steel deck.

Removing some wood from a steel deck I´ve now got various screw holes in the deck to seal, 5mm or 6mm. Would prefer to weld over them but very worried about the risk of setting fire to the sprayed foam inside. Getting to the inside where they are would mean taking apart a large area of the inside of the boat, not really an option at the moment. Any suggestions hole to fill the holes? Only things I can think of so far is fill them with epoxy magic metal and sand flat or tap the holes and put a small piece of studding in the hole. The area will be primed and painted afterwards. Any suggestions (especially from experience!) would be most welcome.

TIA

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Easy, as you've mentioned.

Tap the holes, apply an epoxy like pratley steel to the screw thread , screw the stud or bolt in and once cured grind level. You can also screw allan key screws in and just fill the cavity with pratley steel.

Dunno why you ask if you have the answer already :D

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Your idea was right, just fill them with EP, do´nt insert screws or other "dowels". The different metal properties can cause problems. And grinding them plane can induce enough heat to melt (or burn) the foam mentioned.
    Be aware to repeat the procedure after some years.

Regards
    Richard

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I doubt there would be much heat generated on such a small surface when you grind a 6mm or 8mm stud level. The surrounding material should conduct the heat away very quickly. Steel and steel should have no side effects, if you bugger around with copper, brass or other materials then you can run into corrosion problems due to bi-metal properties, but steel and stainless variants work well together.

5. Conachair

Conachair Junior Member

Just tried a couple using magic metal on it´s own and with a stainless fastener. Smaller hole seened to work ok just with magic metal but larger hole I couldnt get the stull to stick in the hole, it just fell through so looks like I´ve got a lot of holes to tap now. :)

6. wardd

wardd Senior Member

get a tapping gun

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yahh, when proper encapsulated, the stainless rusts away!

Conach
    >>>larger hole I couldnt get the stull to stick in the hole,<<<

mix some fibre in, glass, cotton.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.