Help Identifying Awlgrip Primer

Discussion in 'Materials' started by ebnelson, Oct 8, 2015.

1. ebnelson

ebnelson Junior Member

I have a sailboat built using epoxy resin and the builder stated instead of gel coat they used Awlgrip 545 primer since the boat was oven curved. Epoxy gel coat material did not exist at the time. The color of the primer is tan and this does not appear to be a color option for Awlgrip 545 primer, even many years ago. The boat was built in 1994. The tan paint sands easily. I'm wondering if the paint is actually Awlgrip Hull-Gard ER. If it is Hull-Gard ER, which Awlgrip primer can I use to over coat this paint? Note that I have sanded through the primer to glass in many places to add reinforcements and the new work is faired with Silver Tip Quick Fair.

Attached Files:

2. ebnelson

ebnelson Junior Member

An Awlgrip rep thinks its the High Build primer. I'm not sure about filling pin holes with High Build primer. I guess I'll end up doing some epoxy skin coating.

3. Oleboynow

Oleboynow Previous Member

Pin holes
    Apply a Devoe sandable primer with a brush, this works itinto the surface
    It is what we do over all fairingbog

4. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Quite a few of the epoxy primer fillers are 'off white' to start with. Depending on how much UV gets through the top coat, it may have stayed 'light' or gone a bit yellowy. I would surmise a fairly thin top coat that has allowed the sun to yellow the epoxy primer.

I've used both epoxy and acrylic/polyurethane primer fillers on epoxy sheathing with no problems. You can check with the Awlgrip rep to see if he/she thinks there is any actual deterioration of the primer? Personally, I'd probably rub down hardish and recoat, but you have the boat there and can 'feel' the surface better.

It's fine (epoxy primer filler) for filling the reamining pinholes. There will be most likely 3 coats of epoxy on the hull and the pinholes will only be on the last coat. Unless they are large, forget them. One thing is to minimise contamination for the paint key so degreased wire wool or scotchbrite rubbing around any pinholes will help.

5. ebnelson

ebnelson Junior Member

The color was tan directly from the factory from what I know. The boats were sold as kits and were shipped with only primer, but I believe this was the color. I can ask the original primer color to the builder who is retired but still around.

6. ebnelson

ebnelson Junior Member

SukiSolo, I believe you are correct about the white 545 fading to tan. I found an old picture of the hulls in the factory and they are white. My hulls were sold to a buyer in Oregon who kept them under tarps before a buyer in California purchased and completed the kit. Mystery solved. Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.