Filler for Aluminium Hull (Below Waterline)

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Katoh, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

It will never work--glass is not alluminium,--- it is not a car.

Interesting stuff.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Ive drilled a hole thru the plate, inserted a bolt, then pulled oil cans out of the topsides of a thin plate aluminium boat.

Underwater its easier and cheaper to just fill with fairing .

With a lightweight metal boat you will always be denting , oil canning plates or developing bulklhead hard spot print thru . Its just the life...

To avoid oil canning ,When you haul at the shipyard , insist that the yard crew sound the hull with a rubber hammer, locate the bulkheads , then put the stands on the bulkheads... not the center of a plate.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

How else would you do it --you need to change yards.

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

You would be surprised. There are Mondays, Fridays, hangovers, football games....and of course there are boneheads

A typical dent occurs are night during a storm. A boat rests on its leeward stands in a gale. The windward stands have no load and will actually fall to the ground. Shipyard security makes rounds during a gale and when , at 3 oclock in the morning in driving rain, they see a stick fallen they grab it and drive it home...they dont sound with a hammer.

Stuff happens

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You surprise me --- I have to say that they are much more experienced over here.

Sticks !!!!! I thought you were in Spain dont you use cradles. I dont know any yard round here that uses sticks.

And besides sticks automatically tighten if the are set right not fall out.

6. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

G'Day Gentlemen
    Just a quick update from back then, after completing the repairs and reading the posts, a bit of soul searching, and a moment of madness, I decided to simply remove most of the existing bottom plates and simply re-plate the hull.
    Bloody glad I did! Solved many issues.:D

7. peterroderick00

peterroderick00 Junior Member

weld one end of some small dia. roundstock to the dented in spot & use a dent puller ...even better you can take the same rod & bend it in a zig zag pattern & weld a few of those across the dent & use the same dent puller with a hook attatchment on it to grab the zig zagged stock you've welded across the low spot(s)...this method affords you more versatility as to where you can pull from compared to the rod or stud pull method & when your done zip wheel the studs or zig zag off & dress it back ...basically theyre the same method with 2 separate approaches..I've pulled many dents in many things like this & it definetly works well

8. akaaka

akaaka New Member