seastar spoiler

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by georgec, Jul 19, 2012.

1. georgec

georgec New Member

tore up the boat today, my first one, last week the only thing i knew about them is that I want one, i have some rot, poped the cap and the floor, transom is rotten of course, however the stringers were not even conected to it, further they are hollow thought there was supposed to be wood inside them, fixing it is one thing thou this one seems it was never build right, any thoughts?
    do I have to keep the flotation foam, its not like it vill keep it at float if it develops a leak anyhow?

2. mike reese

mike reese automotive tech

investigate first

boat not be worth fixing hard words to hear but might save a lot of troubleand money

3. georgec

georgec New Member

that bad huh, is it a poor built boat? what is your reasoning if you dont mind?

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Most older production boats have the issues you do and most aren't worth saving, which is why land fills are full of them. All this said, value is a speculative thing, so "going for it" can't be justified or unjustified, without wearing your shoes for a while.

What's the year, make and model of you project? It's normal to not have stringers attached to the transom and hollow stringers also isn't uncommon either.

5. georgec

georgec New Member

1977 seastar spoiler, so I take it its a comon build thou uncomon around builders not beeing worth it, I still dont see the big issue, either fix it as it was originaly build or improve it it still does not seem like a big deal what am I missing? was I to continue what wood be a good course of action , do the best with what it is, run wooden stringers?

6. wooky30014

wooky30014 Junior Member

I suppose it's all relative to what you want, I like the classic "look" of older boats instead of the "rocketship" lines of today. My project, a '72 SeaBird, has been on hold for a couple of years due to the economy but the hull is stripped and ready for new transom, stringers, and deck, planning on using epoxy and marine ply with douglas fir for stringers. I've also been collecting items needed, bilge blower and pump, hardtop, seats, etc. I figure when I'm done, and it will be better than new, I'll have a practically new boat that I won't have any payments on. Is it worth it ?, to me yes.

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

A labour of love !!

Getting a older boat and all the rotten wood etc etc stripping and doing a total rebuild is a labour of love . if its what you want then do it , yes keep track of the cost but dont let it deter you from what you will have at the end . use abuse and dispose of is killing the planet recycling and rebuilding is reusing what once was some ones dream . New thinking and newer materials are better than what was used so so long ago . so its a oncer job and a good percentage of the enjoyment is in the rebuilding and finally seeing it floating on the water again !!.
    My old boat is 1975 and very sound only had a wooden transom but since i had it thats gone west and the boat is 100% glass . sure took me hours of remodeling and building but its done and dusted and i love it . Goes faster than any other boat the same model and year and people just look when i go past . always make the back of my boats pretty becasue that all they ever see.has double the sized motor and goes like stink . but i know it build to take it and never have to ever worry ever again :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.