fibreglassing

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by kaid, Jul 23, 2015.

1. kaid

kaid Junior Member

building a plywood canoe first time. when I fibreglass the hull what do I put the hull first or can I apply fibreglass cloth on to the bear wood and wet out. any suggestions appreciated.
    kaid

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You'd be best advised to download the free "user's guides", from WestSystem.com and the "Epoxy Book" from SystemThree.com. Procedures and the basics are well covered.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Also, look up the series of 'how to' for Pygmy Kayaks fibreglassing on youtube. They have some great hints on techniques

ps - the best technique is to apply a coat of epoxy first, let it cure, sand it then apply the fglass and epoxy.

4. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Rubbish.

The best technique is to let your friends who've suffered through learning by doing (twice over) do it for you, while you go off to buy the beer, corn chips, salsa and chocolate....

A couple bottles of red wine helps, too.

Worked for me.

PDW

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I disagree. The best method is to apply a sealing coat of epoxy, let this go tack free, then apply the cloth. This insures a chemical bond, eliminates the needs to sand things, which often has you expose raw wood again, etc.

6. kaid

kaid Junior Member

Thank You for all your replies very helpful
    Kaid

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Pars suggestion is totally correct but has traps for the inexperienced user. There is also not a problem with applying the cloth using the ' dry' method where the first coat is the one where the glass is laid. The strategy you adopt will depend on the size of the job and your circumstance. For example wetting out cloth and the tinber at the same time is a longer process and needs more organization for continual mixing as you go . The chance of de laminating the cloth from a n initual sealing coat is very low even if done days later. It also is a better approach for clear finish

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.